Lots of love for the local LDS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndrewST

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I cruised by my LDS today on my lunch, just to BS and see how things are going. Generally hanging out, roughing out plans for another dive, and spending a lot of time talking about gear. My experience with SCUBA Gear is next to nothing, but hey I am new its ok. Not only that but I am not afraid to ask questions left and right. So we are going over pro's and con's of different gear brands, types, looking at different product, pretty much the works.

Now the two instructors at the shop are the same ones who I obtained my certification through and I have gotten along with fantastically! I would consider them to be friends, and I enjoy diving with them, in the few weeks I have known them we have had some good laughs and times. Well out of the blue while talking the shop owner and instructor, Mike, is like "Well whatever you buy and whenever you buy, you get 20% off from here on out!" and then made a little bit of a joke and said "The expert advise will even be free!" :D"

I was like "Seriously? Damn!" Friends, people to dive with and a nice deal on SCUBA gear...I don't have much to complain about. The pricing was already pretty decent as it is, but now its even better!

Just thought I would share my love story, and show that not all LDS' are a bunch of ass hats!

developing a good relationship with a dive centre - either local or in foreign parts is always a good thing. It works for the diver because they feel comfortable, get discounts (maybe!) and will have themselves exposed to more diving opportunities. It works for us (ie the shops and instructors and co) cos - well - let's be honest - the divers keep coming back!

This is a business where we often rely on repeat customers and building a relationship with them keeps both parties happy. Business is business, after all but I firmly believe that it should be good business based on personal service. I've made some very good friends over the years from customers and students alike and although I'm in a resort not a LDS at the moment, the same principles can be applied, I think.

Good stuff - thanks for the post Andrew! :D

C.

Sounds like you got yourself a good LDS, it's a keeper!
Unfortunately a large percentage of us have not been so lucky and are at odds with our LDS. The one that I got my certification through was all good in the beginning, but then went down hill as my favorite people began to leave one by one. Shame really.

It's really cool when an LDS is not only a good place to get stuff but when they are friends and don't mind when people stop by just to see what's up and talk about diving. I miss those days.

Since it's over 100 miles round trip to my nearest LDS I forgot about them upon completion of the OW cert.

Yesterday it took my LDS 30 minutes to figure out how to charge me for replacing my regulator hose with one 4 inches longer. True story.

I went into my LDS yesterday and told the owner that I was looking to buy an Al50 for use as a pool tank. He didn't try to sell me a new one. He told me of someone he knew who was looking to sell some. This is the kind of thing that keeps me going back there to buy the things I DO want to buy new.

There are a few gems, and I'm lucky to have one of them.

Well, at least now they are only making 80% of you purchases :)

It's really cool when an LDS is not only a good place to get stuff but when they are friends and don't mind when people stop by just to see what's up and talk about diving. I miss those days.

Too bad you're not on the other coast!

We do that almost every day. Around 5pm when people get out of work, the shop starts filling up.

Some are just dropping by to say "hi", some want to play with the dog, some need gear or are coming in for a class, picking up tanks or just hanging out.

Stopping by for "nothing special" is often the nicest part of my day!

Terry

Yesterday it took my LDS 30 minutes to figure out how to charge me for replacing my regulator hose with one 4 inches longer. True story.

With all due respect, I would suggest changing your statement to "Yesterday, it took my FORMER LDS 30 minutes...."

That is insane, assuming you bought the hose from them. What they SHOULD have done... what MY two LDS shops would have done... is take a few minutes and SHOW you how you can change out your own hoses, how to make sure you get them tight enough but not too tight and make sure the o-ring is seated. You may not be comfortable doing this yourself, but if you are in the field you may NEED to do it if something comes lose.

Back
Top Bottom