Destin 7/20-28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sladerer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
All,

Headed to Destin this Monday with the family (3 divers, 1 non), staying at Club
Intrawest, and have been reading up on the board for recommendations. At this point
I'm thinking we're better off diving locally most days, maybe with ScubaTech, instead
of making the long drive to PC or Pen each day, but would definitely consider heading
to PC or Pen a couple times for some variety. So some questions -

1) Is ScubaTech a good choice for a Destin operator?

1) Which shops/sites should we consider on our PC or Pen days?

2) What are the best shore dives in the Destin area?

3) Other shore diving sites we should consider driving to?

4) Where is the best location for heading to the Oriskaney?

5) Other wrecks that are "don't miss?

6) My wife really wants to see the tanks - can we get there with the Destin ops?

7) While I know the boats pick there sites each day, any suggestions on
sites to request?

8) Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

I'll be down there with the missus the same time and we're going out with Scuba Tech Sunday (afternoon) and Monday (morning) at this point. If all goes well, we'll do some more dives with them the rest of the week.

Maybe we'll see you.

Cheers,
Jeff

For PCB, I would check out the Wreck Raider. I haven't actually been out with him, but I've heard lots of good stuff about his charters, especially for spear fishing and plan on going out with him the first time I get down to PCB.

There are several charters that go to the Oriskany, but MBT Divers and the Y-Knot (in Pensacola) seem to be the two I hear the most about, and they are both supposed to be good outfits.

As for the tanks, I don't know too much about them other than they're out there. I'd like to see them myself.

Also, being as you will be driving 40-60 mins (whether you go to PCB or Pensacola), you want to make sure you provide the dive op with a cell phone number, and not a home or hotel phone number. I know that sounds rediculous, but..........

I am all up for shore diving too. Have you heard that there is decent shore diving around, or just posing the question?

Thanks,
Jeff

I am all up for shore diving too. Have you heard that there is decent shore diving around, or just posing the question?

Thanks,
Jeff

I've read that the Destin Jetties, east in particular, are supposed to be good. Other
shore diving sites I've seen mentioned -
the Beach Reef and Ft Pickens in Pensacola
St Andrews jetty in PCB.

Just wondering if there are any other shore sites worth while in the Destin area.

You can go here and meet up with local and surrounding area divers.

Michael

I'll be down there with the missus the same time and we're going out with Scuba Tech Sunday (afternoon) and Monday (morning) at this point. If all goes well, we'll do some more dives with them the rest of the week.

Maybe we'll see you.

Cheers,
Jeff

PM if interested in meeting or diving.

All,

Intrawest, and have been reading up on the board for recommendations. At this point
I'm thinking we're better off diving locally most days, maybe with ScubaTech, instead
of making the long drive to PC or Pen each day, but would definitely consider heading

1) Which shops/sites should we consider on our PC or Pen days?

4) Where is the best location for heading to the Oriskaney?

5) Other wrecks that are "don't miss?

6) My wife really wants to see the tanks - can we get there with the Destin ops?

sites to request?

8) Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

1. As good as any, they all either go to the jetty or the Bridge Rubble over and over.
1A. I like MBT in Pensacola, Google MBT Divers etc
2. There are essentially no shore dives in the Destin area with one exception. The East Finger Jetty is a popular shore dive, I rate it on a scale of 1-10 as a 3. It is a fun dive, nothing special, dive on high slack or diminishing current to high tide.
3. St Andrews Jetty (rank 2.1), Panama City Jetty, Navarre Pier (to the east there is some rubble, rank 1.5) and the Pensacola Beach Pier (to the east of the pier there is some rubble, rank 1.0)
4. MBT Divers, Pensacola
5. There are more wrecks out of Pensacola but out of Destin I like the Hayward, kinda bland but fun, MV Janet and Mohawk Chief, the Tug Louise is fun and shallow, only 60 feet.
6. The Tanks are kinda cool, ran into a bull there last summer, I will dive it again in two weeks when I get there. I don't know if shops will take you there or not, I take my best dive accessory with me, my Boston Whaler.
7. I occasionally enjoy Tyner's Spot, Big Amberjack Reef, AJ ledge, White Hill Reef.
8. Timberholes, good luck with that. Have fun.

N

All,

yes...

the only negative thing about them is that they wimp out in seas over 2ft. I've not been out with them much, but they've canceled more trips with them than I've been out. :shakehead:

I don't think the other operator (emerald coast) is much better though. oh well.

pretty much the only shore dives in Destin are
a.) Destin jetties, great shore dive.
b.) the bridge pilings (hwy 98 bridge)
c.) the old crystal pier pilings, which are now mostly covered up by shifting sands and not worth diving.

Panama City has the St Andrews jetties.
Pensacola has the Ft Pickens Jetties.

Morrison Springs and Vortex are about an hour inland and worth a drive up or good to go to on a day the seas are rough.

sites to request?

unfortunately in Destin the boats there seem to go to the same 5 or 6 sites over and over again. oh well.

The Destin Pass is said to be the most dangerous pass on the Gulf Coast. I am not expert enough to rank them but it has scared me a few times, therefore, I assume it may have something to do with the wimpish nature of Destin ops, just guessing however, maybe they just don't know anywhere else to go or don't want to burn the fuel. One of the boats looked like it had five years of growth on the bottom, probably does not help with fuel economy but if you only go to the Jetty and the Bridge Rubble pile over and over probably not worth scraping. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom