Diver Psychology - why do we do it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jemima

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any good info. on diving psychology i'm facinated by what 'sense' experiences unite us in the deep, what is it in our personalities which draw us to this activity.

Why do we as a species whose faculties, senses and thought processes have evolved to deal with life above land find diving so liberating when we are essentially inequipped to deal with it. There is so much more than just a transient thrill of a new experience or the adrenalin spurt before each dive.

Why do we do it? .....

Like climbing mountains. Actually I think it has to do with curiosity and a sense of adventure. Maybe its because we don't like to be constrained. People had wanted to fly for centuries before the Wright brothers came along. People were using diving bells long before Cousteau and Gagnan engineered their way into history. NASA wants us humans to go to Mars. We can't manage our own planet why screw up another one? IMHO.

a Brit mountain climber who was asked why he wanted to climb Everest. He stated, "Because it is there." He later died in an attempt to climb the mountain. But that did not dissuade Norgay and Hilary, who accomplished the feat much later.

I have read about the psychology of risk taking, but do not have the books around any more. One of the gists, though,is that there must be something in our genetic make up. Mankind has spread throughout the planet and had to take major risks to accomplish that spread.

If you believe in the teachings of another famous Brit, the good Mr. Charles Darwin (Note the use of a period after Mr, identifying the writer as American.), those genes have been passed along to us "fittest survivors".

It is said, too, that part of that success was due to our curiosity and ability to extrapolate from curiousity to invention. That capability has made us the most successful creatures to inhabit the planet. Some may dispute that and point that dinosaurs dominated the planet longer than we have. However, they did not alter the planet to anywhere near the extent mankind has(Did you ever read ee cummings? He referred to us as manunkind!). That curiousity, coupled with risk-taking, leads to things like scuba, flight, space travel and the defeat of the Mother Country at Yorktown.

I will look around and see if I can find any academically certified material to addend my random musings.

Joewr

Man's (the use of the generic "man" identifies me as "old" and unencumbered by modern newspeak) earliest inventions were tools for getting food more effectively, followed closely by tools for constructing shelter and clothing. Those created "free time" in which the earliest art, often embellishments or refinements to existing tools, began to flourish... and so on.
I started diving to get fresh fish.
Rick

were you peeking? Damn, I gotta check these phone lines!

Joewr

Rick,if you use the word "old" one more time, I swear I'll sick Warhammer on you! Experienced, Rick, experienced is the word you are seeking.

Joewr (the Experienced)

I wasn't peeking. We have more electricity in Ky than you do so my post got there quicker.

But first..

Joe you got grandkiddos man.....not saying your OLD but....

I honestly believe that there is something that everyone does that gives them peace. I'm talking the peace that reaches to the inner soul and gives a sense of calm. The head noises are hushed and all the tensions of the outer world are clensed. The best sleep I get is on the evening after a day of diving. I have found my peace at 60ft. The only sounds are my bubbles and the popping of the reef. My body is relaxed and my soul is clensed.

I would love to make a dive where I could hear whale song.

then join Barbara, Dave and me on Maui next March! We were there this year and heard the whales every day. Then we traveled to Truk and I swear I thought something was wrong with my gear, but I could not put my finger on it...until I realized that I was not hearing whales!

Yep, Tom, we're on the same wavelength on this one!

And, jdb, I am still a little suspicious!

Joewr (at a loss for a subtitle just now)

Back
Top Bottom