Crystal River / Rainbow river ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Life-Is-Good-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was thinking of doing maybe Crystal River, or Rainbow river, but never dove there

I live in Melbourne, so looks like a 3 hour drive over

Can you tell me Is it accessible off the shore? Or do you need to book a dive charter over there?

Also is it possible to drive over 3 hours, get a few hours of diving in and drive back, or do you really need all weekend there

Fills, or rental tanks also available?

I was thinking of riding of this Sunday morning for the day

Suggestions?

You will need a boat for both places. There is only one place on the Crystal River you're allowed to dive that I know of and that's King's Cavern, located a pretty far swim from shore. You can get in at the boat ramp at Rainbow River, but the flow there is enough that it's better to get a boat and do a slow drift dive down the river. I've done the 3 hour drive each way with diving in between. It makes for a long, tiring day. Most shops start their "tours" around 8am. I'm sure you can rent tanks at Birds Underwater.

On Rainbow River you can rent a canoe at KP Hole. Paddle up to the preserve, stick a dive flag up in the canoe and tow it back while drift diving. We did this a couple years ago and had a ball. We had some parachute line with us and it's light, but also strong. I bet it looked odd from the shore!

Our group did Crystal River a couple weeks ago. At Kings Spring, the alge blooms were bad so be prepared for some low visibility when you first go under. As you descend to the spring, it clears up a lot and is pretty good inside the cavern depending on how many divers are there.

Thanks for your input. I was thinking of trying a different place to dive.

I keep hearing how beautiful it is over there

If the boats leave at 8 am, it would be hard to get there from Melbourne.

Maybe I'll wait for a few friends to go, and rent a boat there for the day

Is there any other diving that you dont need a boat to get to around there?

I have some new gear I would like to try out, and I like trying it out in springs at first, getting weighted etc

Is diving allowed in the 3 sisters spring? I always thought it was

You can dive in Three Sisters but...........it's very shallow and on weekends will be packed with snorkelers.
Several of the state parks have springs. Go to the Florida state parks website and click on "activities". Click on the scuba icon and it will list the state parks that allow diving. Most charge ten bucks to dive and require certification and a buddy. Of course, there are always the "commercial" springs too.

Thanks for your input. I was thinking of trying a different place to dive.

I keep hearing how beautiful it is over there

If the boats leave at 8 am, it would be hard to get there from Melbourne.

Maybe I'll wait for a few friends to go, and rent a boat there for the day

Is there any other diving that you dont need a boat to get to around there?

I have some new gear I would like to try out, and I like trying it out in springs at first, getting weighted etc

The Crystal River trips usually leave in the morning to dive King Spring, snorkel with the manatees.

The Rainbow River trips are usually in the afternoon.

It's hit or miss on viz at King Spring but Rainbow River is always decent.

I would be a shame though to go all that way and miss out on all the other diving in the area. Weecheewachee springs is now open too from what I understand.

We plan our holiday in Florida in november. We are also interested in diving/snorkeling with the manatees. Which operator do you recommend ? Is it even possible to dive with them or only snorkeling ?

Sabine

Go with Birds Underwater. Also, there is no diving allowed with the manatees, only snorkeling. This is state law.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom