Using Internal Flash and DS51 with G10 & Ikelite Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lrossel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi guys,

I'm planning to buy the Ikelite Housing for a Canon G10 and a DS51 Sub-strobe to shot in TTL with a sync cord.

I was using the Canon Housing, and shooting in TTL with the HeinrichsWeikamp Optical Adapter and my Sea&Sea YS-90 Auto TTL Duo (It was given me good shots). If you don´t know it, this adapter just make the external flash to copy the internal flash of the camera, then as result you get better exposition of your subject, because the light of the pre-flash measured by the camera came from the external strobe.

My idea is to have two strobes, one DS51 and my old YS-90, but I'm not sure if the internal flash of the G10 is avoid (turned off) when you connect the DS51 trough the Ikelite housing.

Can you tell me if the internal flash of the G10 is avoided when you connect the DS51 in TTL mode?

Any external flash (TTL or manual) connected to the G10 will disable the internal flash. There is no camera setting to change that. We're not sure how sensitive the Heinrichs Optical Adapter is, but you may be able to use it to trigger your YS-90 off the DS 51. You should aim it at the DS 51 and not the subject being photographed.

If the Heinrichs Optical Adapter won't trigger and quench off the DS-51, you can use the YS-90 in preflash ignore mode and use and aperture settings on the YS-90 to match the camera aperture setting. This assumes you are using the YS-90 version with aperture settings instead of manual power settings:

http://www.seaandsea.com/PDF_manuals/YS90AUTO.pdf

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Thanks Jean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom