DR 905EXP vs. Hollis FX100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paddler3d

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I close on the old house next Friday. The wife has given me permission to buy my first dry suit.

I've done a fair amount of digging using the internet (I know, beware), my LDS and asking about the experiences of the various local divers I run into.

My choice is down between the Hollis FX100 and the DR 905EXP.

$'s wise, the choice is close between the two. So no mention of $'s.

I dive in the mid-atlantic and the NC Coast. I'll be diving 2x HP100's with a DR Classic wing and SS backplate.

My LDS stocks both DR and Hollis. Legitimately, DR and Hollis are my top two choices.

Pinnacle, DUI, Bare, so on so forth, I've ruled out for various reasons.

I want you, as reps/possible owners of your respective companies, to convince me which dry suit I should be in.

Overwhelmingly, I've found that my various LDS's are divers, but not necessarily sales people that are users. I've worked for 12 years in outdoor retail management and I'm used to dealing with reps on their products, such as TNF, Patagonia, Arcteryx, GoLite, Kelty, Sierra Designs, and Mtn. Smith. So when you talk about denir or PU, I understand.

I want each of you, your being the rep or manufacture, to sell me on yours. DR, I know about your challenge in the 905EXP boots and the 905 delam of taped joints and Hollis, you're the new kid on the block with a new material, Wearforce.

If you need clarification questions, please ask.

Let it begin!

Cheers,

Chris

BTW - I've posted he exact same post on each other board.

Hi Chris,

Good questions - Looks like you have narrowed your choices down.

I cant speak for the 905, but can help explain Trilaminate vs Wearforce. The most noticeable benefit of the BioDry is in the freedom of movement. Our patented Bioflex material utilizes a non-woven material similar in construction to that of Kevlar called Wearforce, which is laminated to a thick polyurethane. This makes it highly durable and abrasion resistant, but provides a nice 4-way stretch to eliminate the need for a baggy suit with extra material. Not to mention that telescoping torso :shakehead:.

Check out this link here: http://hollisgear.com/pdf/drysuit_flyer.pdf - Provides useful information on Wearforce and the Biodry construction.

If you would like more information, please call me directly at 510-729-5110. I would be happy to explain some of the differences for you.

Thanks,

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom