What do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A decade ago, the beaches where the latest six bites ("attacks") occured (this past weekend) would have been closed to swimming (with or without any official "closing") at the sight of the first shark - and there would have been no attacks. But now we are better educated - now we understand that sharks aren't the mindless monsters of "Jaws" fame that attack immediately and with no provocation - and so now we "go over the sharks" to surf.
Any questions?
Rick

Too true Rick...too true.

Makes me think of when I was a kid if someone got a communicable disease like measles the health department would quarantine them and anyone that had come into contact with them; acutally post a sign on the front door of the house. Now, in our more "enlightened" times, my Day Care Director wife isn't even allowed to let parents know if one of the children in the community has AIDS.

See how far we've "progressed".

Not only is it much easier to report shark attacks, but media coverage actually feeds(pun intended) on it. To that you add the shear number of ppl in the water today vs the old days, and BOOM, you have more shark attacks. We as human beings have a nack for messing many things up, one of those things is our relentless pursuit of depleteing fish supplies in the oceans. The very same fish that the sharks would rather eat. Makes ya think how many more attacks we would have if sharks weren't wasted mearly for their fins!

Which by the way is a subject that really gets me fired up! :fury:

I agree with you that we human's do like to mess things up. I guess it is heard for some people to know when enough is enough.

Do you all think that nature is prepaired for the mass fishing that goes on, or was she ready when the bufflow was almost killed off? I know this is a touchy subject and I do buy my meat and fish from a store.

I also agree with the fact back in the 60's if there was a shark in the water they would close down the beach. That would cut down on the amount of attacts, but with the way the media has played out shark attacts I just thought this was a good question.

Brad

ya swims in da ocean, and da little schooler sharks bite your toes!

ya swims in da fresh water and dose gators be chompin at your feet too!

ya walks thru da woods and there are bears and the occaisional panther to deal with! Oh yeah, we got them crocs way down south too!

Please, please send more tourists! The last ones were delicious! We just gotta feed our wildlife! The big debate 'tween the gators and the sharks???

"Tastes Great!" "Less Filling!"

Gawd I love this place... :tease:

Back
Top Bottom