Destin Boat dive report and pics 7/18/09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A very loose set of plans (due to the weather) were made to make a boat trip with ScubaTech on Saturday between Pufferfish, his buddy Noah, Gulf-Gulper, and me. I watched the weather and marine forcasts for two days before the trip and was not impressed with our chances until late Friday. Saturday dawned with good looking conditions, but I got a call from Gulf-Gulper as I was about to head out for the shop. He had to cancel due to sinus issues. I excused him from the dive and proceeded on my way. The trip was on and things looked good so I signed in and melted the plastic card. The Boat ride out was not flat water but I could tell we would be doing the dives for sure. We anchored on a spot which we had not been informed of and I jumped for joy when Nancy said we were on a reef! This was a new reef to me. It is called Shore-Line reef. I was hoping for some good viz as we geared up.The water was just a little unstable from the wind changes so current, wind, and waves were all mixed up causing the boat to settle into a side to side rocking motion that made gearing up interesting. I was the third member of our team until Nancy asked if I would dive with her nephew (turned out to be a great buddy). While everyone was almost ready to jump in the water, Noah's tank made a pop and started hissing. The O-ring had blown. While they were fixing that the rest of us hit the drink. Surface temp was not bad - 78ish. We were warned of a thermocline and I found two on the way down. Bottom temp was 73 and I was glad I brought my 3 mm full. The water was blue but had the usual particles in it. Upon reaching the anchor the viz was a nice 30 - 35 feet. No current at all and the reef was overflowing with life. The reef sits in 85 feet of water and is an "L" shape. Nothing much on either side and it is about 3 feet tall with some pathways across its narrow width and some ledges along the way. Nancy had put us right in the bend of the "L" so I decided to go right. That turned out to be the short leg so I got to the end and turned back. I followed it back along the long leg and back to the anchor. My nitrogen level was pushing the upper limit of yellow and I was at about 700 lbs of air left. I wanted to stay longer but I knew it was over after a 38 minute bottom time. I had forgotten how quick that last bit of air gets sucked up coming from that depth so I got my money's worth out of that tank - almost dry at the surface. Back on board we waited for Puffer and Noah to finish with their late start and huge nitrox silos. Puff brought back two flounder that he had knifed just to show off even further. The waves were getting smaller but were still doing the side to side thing. One diver got sick and I felt a tiny bit queasy. We got under way and we all survived with some pineapple from the crew. Dive two would be - TA DA - at the bridge rubble. Basic same conditions and viz greeted us. I decided not to take the camera and just play (I wanted to make the most of this site that I have been too so often). Bottom time was cut short due to nitrogen load - 37 minutes at 67 feet. Puff got two more flounder with a pole spear for a total of four. We got back to the dock with all bodies accounted for - another great job by the ScubaTech captain and crew. We offloaded and Puff wanted to eat the flounder for lunch so we asked Steve at ST if anyone still did that. We were directed to Fisherman's Wharf where we saw a sign as we entered that said they would cook your catch for $10.99. We signed up and tried to hand the fish to them but were sadly informed that the fish needed to be cleaned by us before they would cook them. We decided that it was not such a good deal to pay that price for what they offered. Puff invited us to his parent's house and made a wonderful meal of those four fishes. Noah got us some fries and slaw from Popeye's and we ate like kings. Thanks for the meal guys, and Puff be sure to thank your Mom again for me.

Today's pictures were taken with an experiment in mind and a bit of misfortune. I set the camera up to test the manual focus length of the dome port and I set the aperture to 7.1 (a good setting for the jetties). As I descended the anchor line on our first dive, I took a test shot and it seemed too dark. I attempted to turn the knob to push the aperture button and watched as the little rubber end fell off inside the housing - leaving me with no way to change the setting. The distance I had set for focus made it impossible to get close to things yet I had to get close due to the dark pictures from the the high aperture setting. The good news is that with some more practice I think the cavern project will turn out well - the bad news is that many of the pics were out of focus or dark. Here are the ones I could salvage:

slr1.jpg

slr10.jpg

slr13.jpg

slr14.jpg

slr11.jpg

slr8.jpg

slr2.jpg

slr5.jpg

slr9.jpg

slr3.jpg

slr7.jpg

slr12.jpg

slr15.jpg

slr6.jpg

Your pics definitely show how rich a natural reef can be vs. a wreck. You just can't beat what mother nature creates herself. It's amazing how much stuff is in your photos. Despite the fact that you say you had the wrong camera settings, the last photo (toadfish) came out great!

That really looks like a nice reef....I would love to see that one. So, you ready to go take some pictures at Morrison? Bugman and I shot some pictures in the cavern yesterday, and my two strobes covered about 1/4 of the cavern.

Your pics definitely show how rich a natural reef can be vs. a wreck. You just can't beat what mother nature creates herself. It's amazing how much stuff is in your photos. Despite the fact that you say you had the wrong camera settings, the last photo (toadfish) came out great!

I had loads of fun processing these pictures. I zoomed in all over the reef structure and found critters I didn't even know were there when I took the picture. It was like doing the dive all over again. That last pic took some cropping to get it to look good but I'm happy with it given the circumstances.

That really looks like a nice reef....I would love to see that one. So, you ready to go take some pictures at Morrison? Bugman and I shot some pictures in the cavern yesterday, and my two strobes covered about 1/4 of the cavern.

We need to do some experiments in OW at Morrison or Vortex to get the right length of focus to get the depth of field we need for the cavern. This was a random length that I chose from some of my previous shots. Believe it or not, the length was set at 11 inches (just a couple inches in front of the port itself). We need to see some different lengths at the aperture setting that we will use and then check that in the cavern with limited lighting - adjust what doesn't work and repeat until happy. We can then have the big "Light up the cavern" day.

I am not sure I understand all that...this is why I use a "point and shoot!":D Mat and I took some shots across the cavern Friday with some decent results. I have a few shots I will PM you. This might be a good time to get to Morrison. It is pretty nasty right now, so we had the cavern all to ourself.

We need to do some experiments in OW at Morrison or Vortex to get the right length of focus to get the depth of field we need for the cavern. This was a random length that I chose from some of my previous shots. Believe it or not, the length was set at 11 inches (just a couple inches in front of the port itself). We need to see some different lengths at the aperture setting that we will use and then check that in the cavern with limited lighting - adjust what doesn't work and repeat until happy. We can then have the big "Light up the cavern" day.

I am not sure I understand all that...this is why I use a "point and shoot!":D ...

I knew that diving with voo-doo gas in dark places was bad for your mental health! :rofl3:

Nice report Yoda... so here is a small group of pictures from both days..

Note: I resisted the urge to kill any fish on the second day.

toadfish100.jpg

One can never have too many toad fish pictures...

On the sand, above the ledge, there actually were a lot of odd fish:

fish101.jpg

fish102.jpg

Got a few new fish (for me):

blenny1-2.jpg

I see a lot of the golden in shallow water, but not out there.

Anyone know the name of this guy.. besides damsel fish?

damsel1-2.jpg

Did get the usual damsel:

damsel3-2.jpg

On the second day, after the reef, we did a barge.. and there found this guy:

frogfish10.jpg

for a better image of the fish (above is how I inially saw him)..

frogfish5.jpg

As with yoda, while going over the images... I noticed something I had not seen on the dive.. actually, in one image, there were 4 or 5 of them behind several cardinal fish.. as I did not know they were there, I only have a bad, out of focus image.. darn, as I would have liked to have a nice one:

shrimp1.jpg

Don't ever seem to notice many shrimp.. need to start looking for them.

SY - really like several of your pictures, nice work..and thanks for diving with us.

Wow! shrimp and a frogfish. You said you wanted to see a froggie and you got your wish. Did you go to the same reef that we visited on Saturday?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom