Spearfishing lobster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexlakeman

Reaction score
Ok, got your attention :D

I started diving when I was 12-13 back in the late 70's and I could almost remember we used to spearfish lobster... I have to take the doubt out of my mind... Does anyone remember if that was legal back then? We did it in the Bahamas, can't remember if we also did in the keys... too many years..

I don't want this to turn into a flaming thread, wheather it's right or wrong, just want to some history...:

tks

People used to do that out in the BVI too in the 70's and early 80's.

I can't speak for the Bahamas, but it was never legal here for the obvious reason that it is a little too late if you subsequently discover that it is a pregnant female or undersized if you've already shot it. The fact it was illegal didn't stop people, but eventually peer pressure did.

It was (might still be) legal to spear (pole spear or Hawaiian sling only, no spear gun) lobster in the Bahamas, but lobster could only be taken while free diving, no SCUBA. As far as I know, it's never been legal in Florida.

I'm pretty sure you can still spear lobster in the Bahamas legally, as long as you're freediving and using a Hawaiian sling or polespear.

I'm pretty sure you can still spear lobster in the Bahamas legally, as long as you're freediving and using a Hawaiian sling or polespear.

Do they not have rules about legal sizes or protecting reproducing females? If they do, how do you verify that your target is legal before skewering it?

I found this on the net from a charter fishing site in the Bahamas:

"Tickle sticks and a good dive bag with a wire enforced ring in the opening are great for beginners and experienced lobster hunters alike. Spear guns are illegal in the Bahamas, but for the more skilled free divers - a Hawaiian sling or a pole spear are very effective tools. The challenge with this of course, is you must be sure that the lobster you’re going after is of legal size and not a female with eggs before the excitement gets the best of you and you release the spear from the sling. You see - you can’t catch and release a speared lobster - ugh!"

Back
Top Bottom