Replace / repair strobe connector

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fota

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm having problems with my Ikelite uw-housing.

I am pretty sure the problem is in the strobe sync cord connector on the outside of the housing. I.e. where you connect the strobe TTL sync cable. So, I think I have to open it and solder one of the pins (probable the gound pin).

Alternately I would be OK to replace the whole connector (buy a new one from Ikelite), but is this possible, etc!?

My first question is if anyone has any info or experience on doing this. Is it simply to unscrew the bolt on the inside of the housing, or will this ruin the water proof?

The cable inside the housing is glue melted to the connector, but is this related to the screw/bolt? I mean, will if be affected by opening the screw/bolt?
etc!

Background:
About a month ago my camera stopped taking pictures under water as long as the strobed were switched ON. The camera would not read the exposure and refused to take a picture.

After some examination I realised that the ground pin in the connector (described above) had been pushed down to the bottom.

After some work I managed to pull it back up. I even added some glue and after that it seemed to stay in place and best of all, everything worked great.

Well, it worked for 2 dives. Now it is back to not working again. I can't seems to get it to work. Normally I would simply send it to Ikelite, but I'm on a diving trip and will soon go on another one, so I desperately need advice on what can be done on the field.

More info:
I have found out that it is the Master strobe that has to be turned OFF. I can have the Slave strobe on, and it even fires. But, the TTL doesn't work. I have also found out that if I set both the knob on the housing as well as the knob on the strobe on Manual, the slave actually works as a single manual strobe. Much much better than no strobe, but still not my first choice...

Equipment:
I have a housed D300 with a DS125 and a DS51 strobe with a dual cord. It doesn't matter what strobe is set to slave / master, the behaviour is the same,
I have tested both the camera, strobes and cable and they all work perfectly.

Thanks in advance for any hints, tips, experience etc!

/Peter

I think you've already been able to sort your problem out with the help of some people here.

For everyone, there's a slim possibility that the pushed in connector of a bulkhead is able to be carefully pulled back out and it may still be operational. Otherwise the housing will eventually have to come back to Ikelite for replacement of the bulkhead assembly. This is not something we sell as a customer replaceable part.

In some emergency situations, the hotshoe can be modified with tape to bypass certain connections and allow manual use only of the strobes. See instructions under the heading "How can I use a TTL sync cord to provide manual flash only?" on this webpage:

FAQ Sync Cords & Wiring Diagrams

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Hi Jean,

Yeah, I both got a super fast and detailed reply on my email and I also managed to find a phone to call you on and got great help.

Everybody: As I think it may interest other readers, I want to say that the tape trick worked perfectly. Both of my strobes are not firing. All manual, but I'm sure you all agree with me that having two manual strobes beat having no (or just one manual) strobe.

Jean: Great that you now have added this info to your FAQ. One small thing though, the bookmark for that topic doesn't work.

Even though it feels annoying that the problem ever occured, I could not have wished for a better (faster, more info, helpful even for me "on the field") service than what you provided.
I can now do the dives I planned (with the camera), both on this and next trip. After that I will send you my housing to have it fixed.

Thanks again,
Peter Segerdahl

Both of my strobes are not firing.

I hope this is supposed to read "now firing"!

Jean: Great that you now have added this info to your FAQ. One small thing though, the bookmark for that topic doesn't work.

Argh! Thanks, fixed now.

Very glad you're back in business for the time being... We'll get it sorted out quickly and the right way as soon as we see the housing back in here.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite

I hope this is supposed to read "now firing"!

Argh! Thanks, fixed now.

Very glad you're back in business for the time being... We'll get it sorted out quickly and the right way as soon as we see the housing back in here.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite

My bad, of course I meant "now firing".

Really looking forward to have you look into my housing.

Thanks,
Peter

Back
Top Bottom