Did anyone dive North Carolina on 7/18

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bobcatdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok I'm just checking we left Ohio Friday morning hoping to get some wreck diving in on Saturday. We checked with several different dive shops up and down the North Carolina coast and all of them told us it was going to be iffy if they were going out on Saturday, at about 5:30 p.m. we got a call from the last dive shop cancelling the dives so we turned the car back toward Ohio after driving about 6 hours. We did decide to stop in Summersville WV and dive the lake there so at least we got wet(15 total hours driving 2 dives in a lake. I guess we love diving) So I just wanted to hear if anyone was able to get out on Saturday and do some wreck diving in North Carolina. So go ahead and make my day and tell me the weather turned out great and everyone was out diving.
Thanks

We were supposed to dive off Hatteras friday and saturday and both days were cancelled. We dove off Viginia Beach sunday and the boat had a minute by minute weather radar on it. The captain said it was still nasty in Hatteras on sunday as well.

So go ahead and make my day and tell me the weather turned out great and everyone was out diving.
Thanks

You gotta be kidding me! Saturday the 18th? Man it was beautiful! The weather was sunny with highs in the 80's. The seas were slick as glass with little to no current and visibility of at least 150ft if not more. What did we see? Sand Tiger sharks everywhere along with several incredibly large green morays. Then after playing around with them for a few minutes we look up and overhead passes a whale shark being chased by mantas. And just before we left the wreck we look and see a colony of sea horses. The reports were the same no matter where folks were diving along the NC coast.

So tell me, what did you guys see in the lake? :D

I heard Atlantis, and 3 U boats that must have all hit each other were discovered on the 18th, just off NC by a dive boat that cancelled and then decided to go for it? Weren't they frantically calling around looking to get in touch with a couple from Ohio that ended up being their 100,000th signed up divers, and they won unlimited diving for life with the boat? I thought I read it in the papers this morning :)

In my 12 years in North Carolina, I have never had better conditions than I did on the weekend of the 18th. I want to report similar conditions as BDSC but I am sorry for his poor visibility. I was at the U-352 and could see the Sand Tigers swarming the Atlas miles away. To avoid disturbing the flat as glass conditions and for those divers that had enough backgas, we simply hitched a ride on Dolphins, with Manta rays as wingmen. Talk about a majestic feeling- wow it was simply beautiful! I taught a few Seahorses to do a couple of neat tricks along the way and I couldn't have been happier. I was one with the environment and was so happy that the excellent weather allowed for this once in a lifetime diving experience. I will never forget it. :wink:

You guys and girls sure know how to rub it in. I knew that I could count on everyone to give me an honest dive report.

You guys and girls sure know how to rub it in. I knew that I could count on everyone to give me an honest dive report.

Honest? Why didn't you say so to start with. We were just trying to help a brother out and grant his wishes.

Now if you want honest, well, the conditions were sh**ty at best and I doubt anyone went out. But what is the fun in that report.:D

You should have been there the week before. Top-to-bottom viz, pods of wild dolphins frolicking around the dive boat, sand tigers posing for pictures.......

The Mid-Atlantic is a crap shoot when it come to getting out. I dove there the week of July 5th. Three days were ideal! Seriously - flat seas, reasonably good visibility, overall great weather. The other three days were getting that dreaded phone call at 6:00 am saying the boat is not going out. To add insult to injury - I had to stay with my wife and do the "S"* word those three days. YUK!

I feel for you. Drive all that way only to not get wet where you were supposed to. Next time stop at Lake Rawlings in Virginia and do a quarry dive rather that going clear to West Virginia.

*Made you look! The "S" word I'm talking about is Shopping!

I don't dive nearly as often as I did off the coast. I live in the Raleigh area so it's not to bad of a drive in the mornings. But, I have to leave before the boats make the call not to go out. So out of my last 4 trips down we get blown out on three. More and more I got hooked on the ease of the caribbean diving. So now I just do 3 trips a year for a week each down there. That seems to satisfy my craving.

Yea, me too. I used to dive off the N.C. coast but I got SO tired of going down and getting it canceled at the last minute or having to dive the stupid liberty ship. Again.

I do two or three trips a year down to the Caribbean now. Can't beat the warm, clear water...

-Charles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom