Looking for Hawaiian shirts on Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Downing

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Aloha everybody,

I'll be in Honolulu in a few days for about a week and a half, and one of the things on my top-side agenda will be to find some Hawaiian shirts to take home. I'm looking for authentic shirts, made in Hawaii by Hawaiians, not Chinese, not mainland, etc. I'd prefer to shop at the "little guys" rather than a super store. Just trying to do my part to help out the local economy.

It doesn't have to be in Honolulu, btw, as I'll be all over Oahu at one time or the other.

I'll also be looking for good Hawaiian food. Nothing fancy. In fact, I'm more of a shack or hole-in-the-wall place kind of guy. Chicken, pork, rice, veggies and fruit (but hold the poi) kind of place. The "Local Grinds" thread is looking kind of dated, so I thought I'd ask here and risk Lisa's wrath. :wink:

Any suggestions?

Mahalo,

Downing

P.S. First trip ever to Oahu except for changing planes on the way to/from Maui. I can't wait!

Macy's on Waikiki Beach near / in the Ohana Beachcomber had some really decent prices the last time I was there. I think I used a coupon too I got with my Macy's card and saved even more.

Ya it's a "super store" but found some decent local clothing.

Dave

One of the things I love about the internet is that here in Portland I can get shopping advice for Hawaii from a guy who lives in Indiana. :D

Thanks, Dave.

My office is across the street from our downtown Macy's, and I just happened to be picking up a belt there last week when a Hawaiian shirt display caught my eye. They had a white and black style shirt with "Honolulu" and "Oahu" all over it. I thought that might be kind of fun to wear on my upcoming vacation, but then I checked on the price tag: $90! :shocked2::shocked2::shocked2:

Hope the prices are better in Honolulu!

Last edited:
Here is some shopping advice from a guy in Nebraska...:D

The International Market has all kinds of little shops to purchase anything and everything... Now, how Hawaiian they really are, your guess is as good as mine.

Have a good trip..........

Two recommendations:

Bailey's Antiques and Aloha shirts (over 15,000 shirts in stock)

Bailey's Antiques and Aloha Shirts

Any Goodwill Store in Honolulu will have a good selection of "gently" used shirts for good prices.

It's not local but sears always has a good stock, some of them hawaii manuf, or at least hawaiin manuf label.

Wow, this is turning into a nation-wide thread. Cool!

Thanks, everyone. I'll definitely check out your suggestions when I get there.

From what I've gathered via surfing the web, the practice of switching shirt labels on shirts actually made elsewhere is something to be aware of when shopping for Hawaiian shirts in Hawaii (geez, is nothing sacred? :D). My guess is the big department stores are probably less risky, but Bailey's looks like exactly what I was hoping to find.

I thought that might be kind of fun to wear on my upcoming vacation, but then I checked on the price tag: $90! :shocked2::shocked2::shocked2:

Hope the prices are better in Honolulu!

The Quicksilver ones I picked up were in the mid-$30's... the Tommy Bahama was just under $50... picked up some for gifts that were even cheaper and were made in Hawaii.

The Waikiki Beachcomber has a *real* hawaiian shirt shop in their lobby upstairs as well. So it's not just Macy's. The international market is right around the corner too.

Two recommendations:

Any Goodwill Store in Honolulu will have a good selection of "gently" used shirts for good prices.

Awesome recommendations!

You can check out the Ala Moana too! and don't forget the swap meet at aloha stadium. I bought my Hawaiian scrubs there, before I started sewing my own :)

As for food suggestions, check our local grinds thread - might give you an idea or two.

Two recommendations:

That's the store with the Betty Boop in the window....used to live down the street from it, but never made it inside. Cool!

Not bad at all

Back
Top Bottom