Do you keep your eyes open when your mask is off under water?

Do you keep your eyes open when your mask is off under water?

• I close eyes

Votes: 70 29.4%
  • My eyes stay open

Votes: 95 39.9%
  • Depends, I close eyes in certain conditions (eg salt, cold, particles)

Votes: 67 28.2%
  • My mask never comes off and I don’t get water in mask

Votes: 6 2.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got contacts so I'll be pretty much blind if I lose them in the water!

I've got contacts so I'll be pretty much blind if I lose them in the water!

That's certainly one condition when I understand closing eyes (I am master of losing contacts in shower). However, I am surprised hearing how many people say they have very hard time opening their eyes in water. I am way more worried closing them in case of lost mask - and I am pretty blind bat without my mask. It still helps to keep eyes open. I do hate it in <45F though.

I have no issue opening my eyes underwater. Sea or pool.

I never stopped to think that anyone would have an issue with opening their eyes underwater. As kids we all swam underwater, and dived for objects.
When I did my Y cert in '70 one of the training drills was to have ALL of your gear dumped into the pool, and you dived in, collected the gear, donning it as you went, and were not allowed to surface till the job was completed. Could not do that with my eyes closed!

I never stopped to think that anyone would have an issue with opening their eyes underwater. As kids we all swam underwater, and dived for objects.

This is what I grew up doing too - the short summers we had. However, I remember clearly the kids that were forced into water by their parents and tippytoed around chin up, terrified of water splashing on their faces. I wouldn't think they never took up diving though :D

Pre-LASIK my contacts prevented me from opening my eyes. Post LASIK I open them all the time! It's tough to get used to though...Kinda like wearing your dry suit the first few times after diving wet for a while and having to remember it's NOT OK to pee in the drysuit! I sometimes find myself having to remind me to open them and that it's OK.

I have no problem opening eyes except that I dive with contacts. In all the years I've only lost one once and then I figured the vis had just gone to hell. Wasn't till I was on the boat that I realized 1 was gone.

Back
Top Bottom