Destin jetties access question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pro99line

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was wanting to find out what is the easiest way to get to the jetties via the beach? From what I have seen, it is a long way from the road to the beach to haul all the equipment to the water. Just wondering if their was an easier way without diving from a boat. Thanks.

Yep it's a long walk.... lemme post up some pics and directions.

there isn't an easier way.

It's best to dive this about an hour before/after "high slack tide" for best vis and lowest current. consult tide charts in planning your dive. You'll want to look for "Destin East Pass".

EDIT: here are the pics/directions. Some of these pics I took, some are off the web. some by other folks like Sea Yoda, PHD, and maybe a few others.

Most folks dive the "Finger jetty" on the east side of the pass/channel as seen below

destin-jetty-map.jpg

airjetty.jpg

You'll want to turn on Gulf Shore drive in the Holiday Isle area and follow it towards the end of the road.

look for the beach access sign seen below on your left

29jw8.jpg

29jw9.jpg

There is also a showerhead on the left (circled red). (pic taken before the new beach access sign. You'll want to park on the right as shown by the arrow. There is a long section to park on the right side of the road. parking gets crowed on warm weekends. so get there early

26242entry-pano.jpg

best to gear up and your car and carry only what you need for the dive.

The view going down the beach access. head straight for the water and then turn left at the water and walk on the "hard packed" sand around the shoreline. much easier to walk on than the soft sand

airjetty2.jpg

29jw5.jpg

When you get to the end of the shoreline, you'll see the finger jetty running out to your right. This is the part of the jetty that most people dive on

djets_edited_edited-1.jpg

629j2.jpg

The oposite side of the same jetty. some people dive this side also, but mostly by just circling around the tip of the jetty and coming back up it. (depending on currents, etc)

629j1.jpg

A couple pics by SeaYoda. His "Sand Yacht"

011909j1.jpg

011909j2.jpg

Dang Mike.. Awesome pics of where and how.. Im gonna let you do my next trip into the unknown LOL.. I believe Bugman and seayoda told me it was a 1/4 mile walk. Thats not bad for what you get there.

"best to gear up and your car and carry only what you need for the dive."

Wow, I am sure that's a hot walk in a suit with gear on. I appreciate the photos and maps. Makes it easy to see where to go. Thanks.

The "Sand Yacht" is awesome.

Does anyone have any good instructions for Panama City or Ft. Pickens also? I seen a map for PC but could not understand exactly where to go since I have never been there before. Me and my girlfriend are going to try to go on 8/1 or 8/2.

Dang Mike.. Awesome pics of where and how.. Im gonna let you do my next trip into the unknown LOL.. I believe Bugman and seayoda told me it was a 1/4 mile walk. Thats not bad for what you get there.

SeaYoda and bugman deserve some credit for those. I know some of those pics were taken by Seayoda. He's who first took me diving there. Been there at least once or twice with Bugman also.... Both these guys have 10 times (or more) the expertise on dive sites down there over me.

personally I don't think the walk is that bad. But it's about 1/4mile total (as hand measured using the scale on google maps). I didn't think it was that far either but Bugman assured me that it was. Google maps backed that up.

"best to gear up and your car and carry only what you need for the dive."

Wow, I am sure that's a hot walk in a suit with gear on. I appreciate the photos and maps. Makes it easy to see where to go. Thanks.

In hotter times, people often only put on their wetsuit up to their waist and then put their arms in after they get there. Still carrying only minimal stuff that's required for the dive.

The "Sand Yacht" is awesome.

Does anyone have any good instructions for Panama City or Ft. Pickens also? I seen a map for PC but could not understand exactly where to go since I have never been there before. Me and my girlfriend are going to try to go on 8/1 or 8/2.

A lot of the same detailed info on Panama City located in this thread

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/deep-dixie-divers/293322-panama-city-jetties.html

I've got a Ft Pickens dive map somewhere... gimme some time to find it.

EDIT: Found it. It's pretty freaking big to post on the screen....

so click on the pic/image/thumbnail below and it should open in a new window with a VERY LARGE size image for printing... or I also have it in 800x600 resolution below for viewing in this thread.

<------ Click this image to view large copy of map.

FtPickensMap.jpg

WOW. Thanks again. Looks like we may try PC and dive the west jetty by entering in the kiddie pool and just cross over the rocks and have some fun. Appears this may be the best option for our first dive there especially since we are newly certified.

Pay close attention to the tides there. If there is a big tide change you wont be happy if you dont time it right. Currents get ripping through there. Try and go 1 1/2-2 hrs before high tide for best viz and conditions. Check wit the local dive shops the day before if your not sure. My best advice is go slow and look around at thee coral, you will be amazed at how much life is there. And as new divers please try and be careful as the coral is fragile. One fin kick cn break it and then its gone.

Pay close attention to the tides there. If there is a big tide change you wont be happy if you dont time it right. Currents get ripping through there. Try and go 1 1/2-2 hrs before high tide for best viz and conditions. Check wit the local dive shops the day before if your not sure. My best advice is go slow and look around at thee coral, you will be amazed at how much life is there. And as new divers please try and be careful as the coral is fragile. One fin kick cn break it and then its gone.

Don't worry, I have full respect for coral. I have been into saltwater reef tanks for over 5 years and am in school for Marine Biology. My instructor ACTUALLY taught proper bouyancy control form the beginning and stressed the point that you get it right. I have gotten down proper weighting "with my current setup" and using breathing for hoover control. My trim is almost perfect. I need to add 2 lbs up higher. Me and my girlfriend actually practice this in the pool at my house just to get it right. I did a discover dive in Hawaii and didn't enjoy a single seconde if it because of my bouyancy so I learned early just how important it was to make diving pleasurable.

Very cool. One more thing. My last few dives there I saw a few toad fish that on top of rocks hiding. Keep a look out if you put your hand near any rocks. They have a wicked bite and they are hard to see on the rocks. I mostly see them under rocks but theses were out. Have a blast there. Its one of my favorite spots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom