Sign of a good dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarcusCarr

Reaction score
On Tuesday, I called a reccomended dive shop and the assistant on the phone said that signups for the class come on a first pay, first serve basis. I assured the assistant that I wanted to take the course and offered to pay with a visa over the phone. He stated that he would be happy to hold my position in the class and I could stop by Saturday to pay and pick up the course books, along with a pre-class reading assignment.

I talked to the actual instructor today, Friday, and he had run into a problem. Since Tuesday, people had come in, paid, and filled the class (he only allows 6 students per class and no more than 3 in the tank at a time). So you see the dilemma he was in. When I talked to him, I told him I would not want to increase the class size causing an escalated risk. His answer was that he would not allow any change in his class that would cause extra risk to his students.

In the end, he told me that he would make good on the promise, even if he had to create a separate class (creating a 3/4 or 4/4 split, which would cause him to have to run classes every day instead of 3 times a week).

His exact words "Come on in Saturday and get your books and I will take care of the rest"

I am hearing 2 themes from this instructor, safety and a willingness to go the extra mile to do it right.

The store name is Tom's Diving in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.
So far I am impressed.

Good luck with the class. I’m looking forward to welcoming you as a new diver.
What happened to the promise the assistance made to hold your position in the class?
I also understood that they only have one instructor to conduct classes.
I have question for everyone: what is the pre-class reading assignment?

The assistant was filling in to take calls I would imagine. I think the dive instructors were doing commercial recovery. It was simply a mix up. I probably wasn't on the class list because I hadn't paid, and the sticky not never made it to the instructor.

He didn't elaborate on what I would be reading before the class.

For my SSI course we had to do like 2 chapters a week for the duration of the course. It was a six week course. Most people did not do the reading they just watched the videos and listened to the instructers. Dive table day made for an interesting class. I personally dont understand that mentality, I was so excited I read the book in 2 days and was researchin magazines and books trying to learn more. that was a week before the class even started. Oh well, to each his own.
To me a good shop is one that treats me like a good customer, even on the days I dont buy anything. The problem I run into is I would spend $600 - $700 and they would treat me like a king. Then when I came back for a fill they act like they dont have time for me, that is until I look in the computer case or look at some other peace of equipment they can sell me. That is why I have trouble staying loyal to a shop and chose to purchase on line for my latest gear purchases.

I work at a shop on the weekends.(No pay, just cheap prices on gear) I would have to say that when it comes to working with the customers, they have to be the best. Half down when you sign up for classes, shop accounts, discounts for students taking classes and Divemasters, and buying gear and tring it out. I f you don't like it, they will take it back no questions. Of course there are those few out there who are going to screw it up and the guy whos store it is is going to put a stop to it. So far no real damage. All in all, it is a good store. They treat everyone the same no matter what they are buying or how much they spend. The owner is willing to work with you on prices. Prices are so inflated there is always room to work.

The assistant was filling in to take calls I would imagine. I think the dive instructors were doing commercial recovery. It was simply a mix up. I probably wasn't on the class list because I hadn't paid, and the sticky not never made it to the instructor.

He didn't elaborate on what I would be reading before the class.

SO did they ever do your class or did the "assistant" drop the ball one that one two?

its been 8 years since the OP has signed on.. doubt you're going to get an answer on this one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom