photo processing software [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : photo processing software

Sponsored Link
sandie
June 13th, 2003, 09:44 PM
DH got his Oly 5050, and PT-015 at the dinner last night (given as a thankyou, as previously discussed). He's very absorbed, reading the manual/playing with the buttons.
Help I got here was instrumental in selecting not only these for the gift, but the battery charger that I got last night, along with a 30x CF, 256mB card.
Working with Camedia 4.0, but a little disappointed by lack of tutorial and limited success in finding answers in Help (imho). Is this the software most of the 5050/4040 users are using? How about the incredible color corrections I've seen done here, with pulling color out of a greened out picture? Don't want to spend $$$ on photoshop yet, nor to spend the large amount of time to learn this extensive program.

What are you all using?

Dee
June 13th, 2003, 09:53 PM
You don't need the full Photoshop program! Alot of us use Photoshop Elements. It does everything I need it to do with my photos. I've heard it is Photoshop Lite...just doesn't have all the graphic art stuff in it.

Retail is $99 but you can usually find it on sale or with rebates.

zboss
June 14th, 2003, 02:03 PM
JASC PaintShop Pro 7... about $70 and you can download it for free to use for about 30 days.

OK - I just checked on their website... they have version eight now for $99.

blacknet
June 14th, 2003, 02:11 PM
Hello,

I use the full version of photoshop, accept no others as it's the only way to go.

Ed

Dee
June 14th, 2003, 08:29 PM
Ed...I have to disagree. You may prefer the full Photoshop program but it's not the only way to go.

Alot of us either don't have or refuse to spend $600-700 dollars for that program for what we use it for. The $99 Elements allows the basic tools for tweaky and manipulating photos. Adjusting brightness/contrast, levels, cropping, stamping out backscatter, sizing, saving options, etc. doesn't require the full PS program.

blacknet
June 14th, 2003, 08:47 PM
Hello,

Let me rephrase, photoshop elements is good, the full version of photoshop is just as good for this application. I would not recomend any non-photoshop program for any serious imaging.

Ed

sandie
June 14th, 2003, 11:06 PM
What can Photoshop Elements do that Jasc Paintshop Pro 8.0 can't?

Dee
June 14th, 2003, 11:14 PM
sandie once bubbled...
What can Photoshop Elements do that Jasc Paintshop Pro 8.0 can't?

I have no idea what Paintshop Pro can do so I can't answer that. I do know I've heard others says they use PP and like it just fine.

blacknet
June 14th, 2003, 11:16 PM
Hello,

the difference is photoshop has far superior image manipulation tools and designed around those who can draw while paint shop is designed for those who can't draw.

Ed

zboss
June 14th, 2003, 11:21 PM
It is incorrect that Paintshop pro is for people who can't draw. As a matter of fact it includes the capability to convert between raster and vector mode, full layering, animation, AND it can use all of Photoshops plug-ins.

Just try it - it's a free download to try but at 1/4 of the price of photoshop if you decide to buy.

dlwalke
June 14th, 2003, 11:35 PM
I am a new 5050 and PT015 owner myself. I purchased Photoshop Elements from Amazon for about $100. Then, when I found out I could get it free from Comp USA with the purchase of a Epson Stylus 12809 color printer, I canceled my Amazon order and just bought the printer package. Whether you get it bundled with a printer or not, I cannot imagine you would be anything but excited to work with Elements. It is not exactly a scaled down version of the Photoshop, but really a different version geared more specifically for d

Petra
June 15th, 2003, 08:31 AM
Saw Photoshop Elements at the local Walmart for $58 the other day. Unfortunately wifey-poo said NO>>NO>>NO.

Mark

pdoege
June 15th, 2003, 01:26 PM
It is designed for the non-technical crowd.

Everything is automated. The "auto-fix" button works well with UW photos.

I prefer PSP's automation functions, but it is hard to beat PhotoDeluxe for spiffing up one or two images.

Peter

okiediver1
June 15th, 2003, 07:49 PM
I love Elements! For those that want simplicity with great results, its the only way to go. This program is very non intimidating and is great for someone who dosent want all that technical mumbo-jumbo.

Dee
June 15th, 2003, 08:33 PM
I've been using Photo Deluxe for years. In fact mine is V2.0! I really didn't want to switch but there were things that elements does that PD doesn't. Sizing photos is alot easier, for one. And the are more saving options.

It's taken a bit of study and I don't know it well yet but at this point I prefer Elements to Photo Deluxe...and I never thought I'd say that!

Jonathan
June 15th, 2003, 09:53 PM
I initially baught JASC 7 but could not get on with it. I then baught Photoshop Elements after the discussions on this board and now have a JASC box cathering dust.....

Jonathan

sandie
June 16th, 2003, 09:52 AM
what was the problem with Jasc Paintshop Pro? Was it hard to learn, too many steps per picture, or didn't correct the color of underwater photos well?
Re. Elements: what is it you like better? is it intuitive, or does it take a while to learn?

Grajan
June 16th, 2003, 10:35 AM
We happen to have a full version of Photoshop (artist wife) but we don't use anything that is not in elements for photo manipulation.

I also have jasc pro and think it is a great little program but I no longer use it now I have got the hang of Photoshop. The underlying image handling engine seems much more sophisticated in PS (MUCH more invested). I think it produces better results. I also like the automation features.

Just another opinion....

sandie
June 16th, 2003, 11:03 AM
I'm afraid of the amount of time it will take to learn to use elements. I have perceived between the lines on this thread that
Elements is not a "use the basic or automatic parts successfully right away, gradually learn the fancier aspects" kind of program. And I don't have the time/patience right now to spend on struggling through a learning process....
Am I wrong?

Dee
June 16th, 2003, 11:20 AM
sandie once bubbled...
...And I don't have the time/patience right now to spend on struggling through a learning process....
Am I wrong?

Elements basics wasn't hard to learn. Most of my photos only require adjusting with brightness/contrast, or sometimes just Auto levels, sharpening and cloning out any errant backscatter. All that can be learned quickly just by taking a photo and playing with it. The drop down menus are clear and easy to use.

To learn everything Elements is capable of will take time but I can honestly say I've never completely learned any program!

sandie
June 16th, 2003, 01:33 PM
I remember seeing an incredible blued out picture, I think of yours, that got restored to realistic colors. Is that using a color or de-color filter? I just want to make sure I can do that easily(without a lot of steps--like recolorizing from scratch!).
We will be using the built in flash for awhile before adding on a strobe, so I know we'll need to do some de-blue-ing!

blacknet
June 16th, 2003, 04:26 PM
Hello,

Most of the graphic artist Iíve worked with does not use auto anything in Photoshop. It's a great tool and the royals Royce in image software. The most I use is cropping, layers, level adjustments, curve adjustment, unsharpen mask, clone stamp tool, image size, canvas size and modes. These same features are found in elements. For printing I recommend qimage.

Ed

sandie
June 16th, 2003, 04:29 PM
What's that?

blacknet
June 16th, 2003, 05:53 PM
Qimage is a image printing program, you can print a full sheet of wallet sized photo's or any custom sized you want.

http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/feature.htm

Ed

Jaytor
June 16th, 2003, 08:25 PM
I've got an article I wrote on my website that provides a brief tutorial on using Photoshop to spruce up an image. The example I show is a wildlife shot, but many of the same techniques apply to underwater photographs. My site is http://www.jaytorborg.com . Click on Photography, then on Articles (the site uses Frames so you won't get the navigation if you go direct to the page).

Another program I can recommend is Preclick Photo Organizer. This is a free download (http://www.preclick.com) and is the best program I've found to organize your photos. It's extremely easy to use.

- Jay

blacknet
June 16th, 2003, 08:31 PM
Jaytor,

Great article. Would you be so kind as to make a post noting this in the tips/techniques section? We are trying to make a FAQ for the photography section here.

Ed

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1