New Marine Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akscubaduck1

Contributor
Reaction score
Land of the midnight sun Anchorage,Alaska
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Smitty's Cove, Whittier AK. is now a protected marine park.
I will try to get the new rules posted at the Harbormasters office.
Basically it says,
No wake zone.
No diving without a flag.
Spear guns prohibited.
No taking of any marine life.
Must be a certified diver or in a class.
Must have a BCD (Free divers excluded).
Penalties up to 1000$.:ar15:

It's time to go diving, see you there!
Terry

:rofl3:Must have a BCD, funny

Wow, it's about time! I can't wait to hit the tanker car with my tank, harness and Hawaiian sling:D

Poog:coffee:

Wonder what diving will be like in Whittier. My wife and I recently came back from spending 8 days in Girdwood and the surrounding areas and absolutely fell in love. I kind of wondered what the diving was like... :D

Hi, hey is this something that is going to happen across the State? Is the "Marine Park" similar to what we have here in S.E. They made some of these for boating and such a few years ago, throughout S.E. They are not much yet, basically places set aside for future use I suppose. Do you have any kind of link? thanks JC

Hi, hey is this something that is going to happen across the State? Is the "Marine Park" similar to what we have here in S.E. They made some of these for boating and such a few years ago, throughout S.E. They are not much yet, basically places set aside for future use I suppose. Do you have any kind of link? thanks JC

I don't know if it is going to happen across the state. This underwater park is a creation of the City of Whittier, so it is a local initiative. It could happen across the state as a collection of individuals efforts, but I see little motivation to do that. The park at Whittier is the culmination of an effort that started about five years ago when a industrial developer want to create a cargo landing spot that would have effectively shut all other users' access to the cove (divers, kayakers, fishers, boaters, etc.). Smitty's gets some pretty heavy use (by Alaska standards) with classes, people out for a day of diving from southcentral, and so on. Plus, it is the site of a series of human constructed reefs using reef balls. Pretty neat spot all in all.

Back
Top Bottom