Regulators and Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deefstes

Contributor
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (not close enough to th
# of dives
100 - 199
A friend of mine recently got a new regulator (as a gift!), a Mares Rover. When we looked on the Mares web site to get an idea of the regulator's vital stats, we noticed that it is not to be used with Nitrox. I didn't know that some regulators are fit for Nitrox while others aren't.

Could someone explain what makes one regulator suitable for Nitrox and others unsuitable? What are the risks of using a non Nitrox regulator with Nitrox? How do I know if my regulator (TUSA RS-240) is suitable? Neither of us are Nitrox divers but this is something that might become an issue in future.

I clicked on your Rover link. I clicked on "click for tech info" on the right side of the page. The 6th heading is nitrox, it says "yes".

??

I clicked on your Rover link. I clicked on "click for tech info" on the right side of the page. The 6th heading is nitrox, it says "yes".

??

Huh, now I'm even more confused. I first noticed that the Rover was not good fore Nitrox when I looked at this link and clicked on the Rover (top row, third and fourth from the left). It clearly says "Nitrox: No". Also, if the Rover is Nitrox-good, what is the purpose of the Rover 12 Nitrox?

But still, what is the difference between a Nitrox-yay and a Nitrox-nay regulator?

Your very confusing. I don't think I'll talk to you anymore.

PS. Most regs are <40% EAN ready straight out of the box. The Nitrox version is oxygen cleaned & has compatible O2 inert "O" rings & is 100% O2 ready out of the box.

Your very confusing. I don't think I'll talk to you anymore.
I wish I had that luxury to stop talking to me because I'm confusing myself even more.

PS. Most regs are <40% EAN ready straight out of the box. The Nitrox version is oxygen cleaned & has compatible O2 inert "O" rings & is 100% O2 ready out of the box.
Thanks. Did you get that somewhere on the website that I just missed it or is this your personal words of wisdom? If you can bear with me for one more questions, what exactly does it mean that a regulator is "oxygen cleaned"?

Oxygen clean regs have orings that are compatible with 100% O2 as well as using something other than standard silicone lube. They use something like christolube or then new tribolube that is less likely to cause combustion when put in contact with 100% oxygen. Any type of contaminants( especially hydrocarbons) can combust when they come into contact with oygen. Hence deco regs that will be used with high O2 mixes need to be O2 clean.

Huh, now I'm even more confused. I first noticed that the Rover was not good fore Nitrox when I looked at this link and clicked on the Rover (top row, third and fourth from the left). It clearly says "Nitrox: No". Also, if the Rover is Nitrox-good, what is the purpose of the Rover 12 Nitrox?

But still, what is the difference between a Nitrox-yay and a Nitrox-nay regulator?

I think I understand the confusion. Kern is correct in that if you click on the Tech Info tab it states that the reg is Nitrox compatible. This typically means that it is compatible with Nitrox mixtures up to but not exceeding 40% oxygen. They also make a "Nitrox reg". This regulator is compatible with Nitrox mixtures up to 100% oxygen. The labels can be a little misleading since both regs are technically Nitrox regs, but the latter one has been cleaned to be compatible with gasses that contain a higher concentration of oxygen. For your current needs, the reg you are looking at is sufficient (the first one) since it can be used with air and Nitrox mixtures between 22-40% oxygen. I hope this helps.

Oxygen clean is the verifiable absence of particulate, fiber, oil, grease and other contaminates. Verifiable absence is determined through the use of qualitative and quantitive cleanliness techniques. The sort of thing you learn on a gas blenders course. This level of cleanliness is required as those contaminates can become a source of combustion with high levels of oxygen.

Back
Top Bottom