Shrimp/Prawns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johncayce

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello, and thanks to all who participate in this forum. I'm new on this site, and still getting the hang of working it.

Trying to log my 100th dive by the end of summer, work and wx permitting.

Here is my question: We have been diving on a scallop bed maybe 6-8times. About the last week in June, we anchored over it for the night and went down the next morning. We descended on the anchor line to approx. 75-80 ft. Vis was good. As we started to harvest scallop, we noticed that the ocean floor was covered with shrimp, spotted prawns. Now I have always come across shrimp at different depths, but usually in single digit numbers. There were thousands at this depth.

What do you call shrimp gathered like this, a school (ie school of fish), a herd??
What came to my mind was an "Army" of shrimp.
Generally we send shrimp pots down 200ft+ to trap them, and on much rockier bottoms.

Only thing we could come up with was that we had been swinging on the hook all night and stirred up something on the bed/floor that they must have liked.

Do shrimp send out little worker shrimps like bees, who come back and tell all the others that the table is set?

Thanks JC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom