Help with ikelite housing and Canon G10.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eagleray09

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Jean:

Now I own a Ikelite housing and the Canon G10, I've been using for 5 dives
but I have a problem:

The knob to use the zoom simply does not reach the zoom button on the camera. The option of returning to Ikelite it is not my first choice . I live in Mexico.

Do you have some tips to make it work?

I use the Canon WP-DC28 housing for almost six month with no problem.. Ikelite a big disappointed.

Thank you in advanced.

Hi, I think you could carefully remove the 2 screws that hold the tray to the back and put a small washer in to cause the tray and camera to move further forward in the housing. Ikelite would probably mail you the washers. I would recommend an email to repair@ikelite.com and let them know the problem and your shipping address. I am sure they will take care of your issue.

Thank you very much for your help ScubaBasics. I'm doing everything but without good results.
I will contact Ikelite.

This is the problem with the housing:

ikeliteproblem007.jpg

ikeliteproblem021.jpg

ikeliteproblem024.jpg

ikeliteproblem025.jpg

Thank you for your help Jean.!!

I'm very sorry for your problem with the G10 housing. We have recently seen a couple of housings which aligned properly with our G10 cameras but did not align properly with the customer's camera.

The easiest solution we have found is to send some tray spacers as ScubaBasics mentions and also a replacement lens shade. I have seen your e-mail to the repair department and will contact you for your shipping info.

I'm sorry again for this problem and appreciate the opportunity to correct it.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Jean:

"We have recently seen a couple of housings which aligned properly with our G10 cameras but did not align properly with the customer's camera."

Are you telling me Canon produces two types of cameras G10?

Anyway I sent my address to department´s repair. Let's see how this ends.

Gracias Jean.

I can't confirm what is causing the problem, perhaps it is some slight variation in the way the tripod mount is set into the camera. All I can say for sure is that one customer sent a camera and housing in together with the same zoom control problem. When tested the housing operated OK with both of our G10 cameras, but not with the customer's.

We do check all of the controls with our cameras before the housing leaves the building. I can only guess the slight variations in both camera and housings are adding together to cause this issue....

I'm sorry for the trouble but we're doing our best to respond to this in the quickest and most convenient way possible.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite

Wow... I'm worried to read this.

I'm buying a Ikelite housing for the G10 to Marensepia in Chile. I hope not to have the same problem, because it will be too expensive to send the housing back to USA from Chile.

Housings shipping now have been modified to account for this known variation. So far it appears to be a very isolated problem. We have received only a few complaints out of the very large number of housings we've shipped for the G10.

Also we have a simple solution for existing housings with a problem that can be sent to and installed by the customer. This prevents housings from needing to be returned to the factory.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite

Do not take personal Jean, but when I read "So far it appears to be a very isolated problem" get so angry. Having spent 616 dollars. And not being able to use it 100%.

Sorry if I write with resentment. But I still quite angry, kwning thay I had "a very isolated problem"

Good luck lrossel.

sorry to hear you had issues with the housing. but i'm not sure what more you want from Ikelite. mistakes/problems will always exist from any manufacturer, the key is how they are handled.

i've not seen any company as open and proactive as Ikelite. here, i see Ikelite volunteering information and asking to fix the problem. they offer to ship the parts free of charge. no receipt check, no date of purchase check, no original owner check. just pure standing by their product.

other companies i've experienced with, they would simply make you 'send it in' for repair without debugging or try resolving the issue remotely. try calling Canon or your car dealership. i appreciate Ikelite's candidness and hope posts like your last one don't make them quiet down and offer less info in the future to protect themselves.

i have Ikelite housings (5d and 5d2). and i'm buying a Canon G10 and an Ikelite G10 housing this week. i'll be in Cozumel the end of this month testing it out. i hope i didn't just jinx myself! but i'm confident Ikelite will take care of any issues i may have. :)

good luck. i hope it gets fixed to your liking. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom