Diving AND snorkeling??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stogie1020

Reaction score
Anyone have a good spot somewhere NEARBY in the Caribbean (Puerto Rico, Bahamas, etc..) that has good diving and good snorkeling for the "depth wary" individuals going along? Shore snorkeling is a must, but boat diving is OK. My spread out family is trying to find somewhere to congregate for the New Years holiday, so we would prefer no super long flights to Bonaire (despite my pleadings!...) or anywhere THAT far. I am looking for a place that has a good mix for old people and young. Thanks.

Both Molassas Reef and Hens and Chickens Reef can accomodate both. Not that you are limited to just those reefs... there is more: Lots more!!!

You might want to try the United States Virgin Islands (USVI). Try and stay on St. John, which has great snorkling and very good diving. There is something for all depths and the beaches are wonderful.

Take a look on the internet and I think that you will be pleasently surprised.

Whatever you choose, have fun and dive safe.

Enjoy the ride.
:mean:

On Grand Cayman, you'd have some great snorkel choices like Stingray City, barrier reef on East side, patch reefs on West side. Great viz. and good diving. Maybe get a condo.

Diving is fun,
Caymaniac:D

There are several sites off New Providence, Bahamas that have good snorkeling and diving.

I both dived and snorkeled at Goulding's Cay in the bahamas. Unfortunately, there is very little diving or snorkeling from shore, but I went out with Stuart's Cove. They pick you up from all New Providence hotels.

We have our family reunions in Grand Cayman. It has diversity for all ages and skill levels. It is a 1 hour flight from Miami. The scuba diving and snorkeling is some of the best in the world... The land attractions are also there for all ages. It is also a safe and clean island and there is no poverty (no strangers trying to sell you something).
We always stay on the West Side of the island at Cobalt Coast Resort. It is off the beaten path but still only 10 minutes from the tourist area for shopping and attractions. At the resort you can walk for miles on the shoreline and not see a soul. The kids would like all the tide pools along the walk. Then just a couple of miles from there is a deserted beach with no homes or peoples, that goes for miles with the best protected (weather) snorkeling. Cobalt Coast Resort provides trips there with lunch, cooler, towels, lounge chairs and etc. They also have great shorediving and snorkeling right off their dock.

Have Fun & Enjoy

I've been doing a lot of research for a trip to St John in February. It looks like a great candidate for you. Most of our group are snorkelers, but my hubby and I dive so I'm in the same boat (or out of it preferably). From what I've read there is tons of good shore snorkeling and lots of good diving around the island.

The USVI is a great choice! St. John is gorgeous (and slower paced), St. Thomas is more touristy, but still has great diving and snorkling.

The nice thing is there is a ferry that runs between the two islands, so you can spend time on either. Plus, because it is US there is no need for passports, translators or currency exchange (if you are in the US).

Back
Top Bottom