where to go???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

munkispank

Contributor
Reaction score
I have to choose where to go in August for a weeks trip- price is a concern, so I have narrowed it down to Roatan, Belize, Aruba Bonaire. I have read reports from people who have been to individual places- has anyone been to more than one to compare?

FYI- we are not interested in anything else topside- just lots of diving and are reasonable experienced. I would like an option for shore diving, but do not really want to compromise deeper or wreck dives to gain that.

Thanks

You have some great choices in your list.

However, you have left out one place that is inexpensive and has great diving. Don't forget Cozumel or Playa Del Carmen, Mexico. If you have never dived in Mexico, you will be pleasently surprised.

Warm water with 100' vis. Great reefs and sea life. Then if you want more adventure, you can go and dive the cenotes, which are clear fresh water inland rivers with open caverns. In a word, UNBELIEVEABLE!

The airfare is cheap and the hotels are offering great deals with all kinds of diving discounts. When you have to do your off gassing hours, there is also alot to do and see if you want.

Check the internet and see for yourself.

Whatever you choose, have fun and dive safe.

Enjoy the ride
:mean:

munkispank once bubbled...
FYI- we are not interested in anything else topside- just lots of diving and are reasonable experienced. I would like an option for shore diving, but do not really want to compromise deeper or wreck dives to gain that.

Thanks

Bonaire meets your topside/dive cost/shore diving requirements but I don't really understand why you want deep dives. While you can do 100 ft+ dives there, most of the life is a lot shallower and you lose loads of bottom time. There is really only 1 diveable wreck on Bonaire, about 100 ft to the sand.

If what you are really interested in are deep wrecks, then why not come here to the North Carolina coast? We have loads of wrecks, most of which are in the 90-150 ft range. The water temp is in the 80's and vis is usually 50 to 100ft that time of year. There is loads of fish life including wrecks that are swarming with tiger sharks.The diving is a little more expensive but I suspect you will save a lot on air (don't know where you are located)to make up for the cost of the diving.

thanks fot the advice, I had considered Cozumel/Cancun but wasn't sure if it was really that good. I will reevaluate.
And the North carolina dives are scheduled for next year -hopefully. I guess my definition of deep is not the same as others, I just meant that I didn't want to be stuck with just shallow reef dives if there were any cool wrecks to see. I personally prefer the longer shallower dives, but my dive buddy is fond of wrecks- so we try to compromise.

thanks again for the advice

How about the Keys? There are some nice wrecks there including the Spegiel Grove as well as some nice reefs and air fare is not usually too bad.

Since you're planning to go in August, then Aruba or Bonaire are the only islands on your list that you could pretty much rule out hurricane problems.

If you want to do deep dives and wrecks, the reefs in Bonaire on the leeward side generally run from 30' down to about 130', so you can make any dives as deep as you want to go. As previously mentioned, the Hilma Hooker is a nice 100' wreck dive that you can do from shore. It has been consistently rated by Rodale readers as one of their favorite in the Caribbean. There are also a couple small boat wrecks in about 90' of water accessable from shore in front of the Eden Resort.

All those places you were considering sound great. I've been to Aruba and Belize. Both of those were great, and I'd be hard pressed to pick one over the other. But I figure you have already decided since your trip is in Aug! Lucky you. Have a great time.

MaresMan1 once bubbled...
You have some great choices in your list.

However, you have left out one place that is inexpensive and has great diving. Don't forget Cozumel or Playa Del Carmen, Mexico. If you have never dived in Mexico, you will be pleasently surprised.

Warm water with 100' vis. Great reefs and sea life. Then if you want more adventure, you can go and dive the cenotes, which are clear fresh water inland rivers with open caverns. In a word, UNBELIEVEABLE!

The airfare is cheap and the hotels are offering great deals with all kinds of diving discounts. When you have to do your off gassing hours, there is also alot to do and see if you want.

Check the internet and see for yourself.

Whatever you choose, have fun and dive safe.

Enjoy the ride
:mean:

I must agree with MaresMan1 on Coz. If cost is an issue, the airfare to Aruba and Bonaire will get rather expensive. You can fly to Cancun or Coz cheeper, you can get there much quicker which allows for more time to dive. Hard to beat Coz........IMO

hey there,

thanks for the additional advice- yes I have decided where to go, and leave tomorrow- yay!!!!

I decided to forgoe the slightly higher ocst and hit Bonaire-I will post a trip report when I return (If I return!!!)

but the rec's for Coz were so convincing that I threw caution to the wind and booked thanksgiving there too!!!
I fell sooo lucky to be doing both these areas within 6 months!- the most diving in three years of certification-(I just have to close my eyes when the credit card bill comes in)

expect trip reports- and thanks for the advice everyone

munkispank once bubbled...
thanks fot the advice, I had considered Cozumel/Cancun but wasn't sure if it was really that good. I will reevaluate.

[...]

thanks again for the advice

Cozumel features really great diving (100+' viz, temp in low-mid 80's, and short boat rides to a huge number of sites), but Cancun is not so good. If you find much cheaper air fare to Cancun than Cozumel, use the CUN option to get you close to CZM. Getting to CZM from CUN is pretty easy.

Cancun is more for the party hearty crowd; Cozumel is much more laid back and (as long as you stay away from the cruise ship crowds, which isn't hard) geared more for the diving and fishing folks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom