Leak from a brand new Canon S3 IS housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fina

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an Ikelite housing for my Canon S3 IS. The housing was purchased in 2007 and has sat in a box and not seen any use until I got back in the water today. Since it was the first dive with the housing I thankfully made the decision not to put the camera inside. At about 15m a slow leak formed near the shutter control. On inspecting the housing after the dive, therewere 3 hairline cracks starting from the thread of the shutter control. If I had to guess it looks as though the thread may have been overtightened but I can't say for sure.

I am in Australia - what kind of response can I expect from Ikelite since the housing
was purchased 2 years ago but is basically in brand new condition?

Sorry to hear of your trouble with the S3 housing. Cracking at that location is extremely unusual. We typically only see it when some sort of impact has occurred.

Please return the housing for evaluation and repair. The housing is out of warranty. However if it's obvious that the housing has only one use on it and there are no other signs of impact, we will most likely go ahead and replace the case at no charge.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Thanks for your response Jean, I'm feeling less crushed by the whole deal now! As I said the camera has been completely untouched and kept safe in the box up until that dive so I'm sure you'll see it's in otherwise immaculate condition. I do realise how rare this kind of thing is, I am obviously just incredibly unlucky!

Back
Top Bottom