Old Navarre Pier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was out there last week and while I didn't get in the water it looked like it could be dove. The work on the pier isn't out near the end of the pier. People were walking along the shore and under all the work being done...I'll be out there some time this coming week to free dive. Hope it's available to swim on.

I spoke with two different groups who dove it last week with no problems. A lot of the structure is buried, but it is still diveable.

Does anyone know if the old Navarre Pier is still diveable?

My brother and I dove it twice last week (you can see everything in half a tank), and it was interesting. We saw a huge stingray, the biggest I've seen, as well as a school of Gaftopsail catfish, two juvenile sea turtles, a decent sized cobia, and several million hardtails. I even knifed two flounders on our second dive (night dive). It's a good dive for a new diver, but you probably won't feel the urge to dive it more than once.

A few questions, since I have never been to this place but would like to go sometime. Will this site continue to be diveable/snorkelable after they finish the new pier? Are they going to take out the old pilings so nothing is left? Is the new pier so close by that they wouldn't allow diving on the old pier anyway (i.e., too close to the fishermen)? On a side note, it's amazing how long the pilings have lasted from the old Crystal Beach pier. That pier was destroyed in (I think) 1975, and despite the fact that the pilings were wood and have been lashed by many hurricanes over the years, they still exist and provide modest structure for fish and a place for some invertebrates to live. I expect the same would true for the Navarre Pier, and even more so because the pilings are concrete.

Before the hurricane destroyed the majority of Navarre Pier, I was under the impression you could dive it at night(apparently it was closed to fisherman at night). If the rules stay the same for the new pier, I'd guess it'd still be an option at night?

Back
Top Bottom