Aqua Scooter gas powered

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lud6328

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi I was wondering if anybody could tell me if a Aqua Scooter could be a cheap viable option to tow me out on beach dives?I only go there about twice a year so I dont want to spend a lot.It typically has about 2ft surf/waves near shore,then smooths out somewhat after about 100 ft or so.Does anybody know how much an older one weights.new ones say 15 pounds+gas?But the old ones still look lighter,and cheaper then any used decent sea scooters.Any thoughts.Thanks

From what I could tell reading about it, it is not for use under the water, only for snorkeling depths, ie: it has a snorkel which allows it to breath.... so it is not really for diving.

lud----
I have and old Aqua Scooter AS-400 purchased in 1978 when I was still teaching. I used it at the lake and have towed up to 6 students, single file, hanging on to each others flippers, for up to half a mile to get to a specific location where the water was 60 ft deep.
The scooter still runs and I use it with the grandchildren to go across the lake where we like to swim. I'm 71 now, so like to conserve my strength for water fighting with the grandchildren
I also modified an old 2nd stage scuba regulator by silver brazing the exhaust port shut and changed the mouthpiece fitting to a round tube so I could attach a hose to the Aquascooter inlet "snorkel fitting" and then plugged it into a bouyancy comp fitting so the Aqua scooter breathed from my twin 70's. I have used it underwater down to 20 ft several times BUT needless to say it sucked air at a tremendous rate. Dive time on twin 70's was about 13 minutes.
It was a fun activity, it worked , but not practical at all.
The use as a tow vehicle works great though. Attach a line to the scooter and mount a dive flag on the snorkel, so when you are finished diving it is ready to tow you back to land -- a good energy saver.
Frogman62

Back
Top Bottom