Puerto Galera versus Boracay at end of July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

subtle69

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Am wrapping up a month or two of brow-furrowing contemplation and would like to enlist the help of those with more knowledge than myself before taking the plunge. I have booked a flight to Manila at the end of July and have nine days in country. I am going to take my Adanced Open Water, EFA and Rescue Diver courses over this time period. Research to date has suggested there is very little variance in course prices between the two locations, although one outfit has offered an Enriched-Air course for free provided I complete the other courses with them.
My understanding is that the caliber of diving in Puerto Galera is superior to Boracay while the out of water experience in Boracay is superior to Puerto Galera. As both are of importance to me, your qualitative opinions would be much appreciated. Weather is also a concern. The season so far doesn't sound great, especially around Mindoro. A well-informed friend has suggested that Boracay is more likely to have better weather at that time. Anything to add on that note?
Please help or advise in anyway you can. Any recommendations for accom. and dive schools? Action in PG looks great, as do Calypso and Victory in Boracay. Any first hand accounts of Water Colour Divers, Boracay?
Thanks a lot for your time and energy.

I did my OW in PG a month ago and loved it. the dive dites are spectacular and the vis is amazing. as for out of water activities it depends what you are looking for. Sabang beach in PG has a lot of night life, some of which is catered towards men looking for companionship. But, there are other things to do there, I went with my GF and there are other things to do other than ogling local ladies. Haven't been to Boracay but have heard dive sites aren't as nice. either way it seems you will be in water more than out so have a good time and enjoy the Phil.

Dave=-)

Yes, that's true diving is not at its best in July in PG, though it's wonderful from feb to may.

I do not know Boracay though I've had reports saying that the only good dive spot was Yapak II. Visayas are much more secluded from bad weather than northern Philipines islands such as Mindoro.

Can't you consider Bohol or Cebu/Moalboal for instance, you'll have there really world class dive sites (Pescador in Moalboal, my favorite spot, and Balicasag walls around Bohol/Panglao.
As for overland, while Panagsama/Moalboal is a little PG (girlie place but with less action and hassle), Panglao/Alona beach is a nice laid back beach resort with bars and good bungalows(i personnally recommend Bohol divers lodge www.boholdivers.bizland.com, however the beach is certainly better in Boracay) but very close to Tagbilaran city if you want more action.

I spent a week in PG and spent my honeymoon on Boracay. Dove them both. Asia Divers on PG and Calypso on Boracay. But must be honest, didn't dive as much on Boracay as the topside was so nice. I would say PG was abit better and easier diving than Boracay but both were very nice. PG seems to me to be abit more of a party place than Boracay. My wife and I had a great time at both places. To decide between them, hard to do. If you have a nondiver with you Boracay might be better. If everyone is diving PG might be a better deal.

If I caught you before you left I can offer some insight on how to get to these places the easiest way. They both are beautiful and for me, was spectacular. I got some pictures that look better than any postcards I've seen. Warm and happy folks, good food, very inexpensive diving and hotel. You will have a blast.

It has been a while but if I remember correctly, July is in the rainy season. You might want to check that.

If you get a chance to go to LaUnion it is far away from the touristy areas so you aren't always getting treated like a tourist. You are also much more likely to have only the people you take with you in your diving group so don't expect to see many other divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom