Ever have an SMB fail?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JWard

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I was diving Table Rock Lake in Missouri a few weeks ago. I inflated an SMB at abour 65 ffw and let it run to the surface on my cavern reel. I was going to follow it up but it didn't have any bouyancy.

After I retrieved it I found it had split on the seam, about a 4" tear. This was about 3" below the top, so it retained just enough air to not come falling down.

The SMB I think is from Dive Rite. I have 2 nearly identical ones, and I'm not sure if it's the Dive Rite one or not. It is about 5' tall.

I have used this SMB for a few years now and inflated it at this depth before. I guess I just gave it a little to big of a breath!

I see there are a few SMBs out there with an over-pressure valve. Guess it's time to order one!

Anyone else ever explode an SMB? :D

I've been nervous to try deploying from depth for just this reason: either I don't inflate it enough and it's pointless or I inflate it too much and it bursts.

I have exploded (well technically imploded I guess) a non-Scuba certified waterproof container by taking it to 60 feet. We all know pressure isn't just a concept made up by our instructors, but it's nice once in awhile when you do something stupid to prove it conclusively :)

...um, you mean they actually make SMB's ...WITHOUT..... over pressure valves ??? *** ??? ...better motor over to say...halcyon.net and get a 'real' SMB. :)

So I was diving Table Rock Lake in Missouri a few weeks ago. I inflated an SMB at abour 65 ffw and let it run to the surface on my cavern reel. I was going to follow it up but it didn't have any bouyancy.

After I retrieved it I found it had split on the seam, about a 4" tear. This was about 3" below the top, so it retained just enough air to not come falling down.

The SMB I think is from Dive Rite. I have 2 nearly identical ones, and I'm not sure if it's the Dive Rite one or not. It is about 5' tall.

I have used this SMB for a few years now and inflated it at this depth before. I guess I just gave it a little to big of a breath!

I see there are a few SMBs out there with an over-pressure valve. Guess it's time to order one!

Anyone else ever explode an SMB? :D

There is a big difference between a "safety sausage" which is designed for use only on the surface and a "surface marker" which can be deployed from depth.

The later has a OPV. I have never seen a Dive Rite one that didn't have an OPV but that doesn't mean they didn't ever make them.

here are some examples of buoys that are not approved for launching from depth:

Akona Safety Tube Hi-Viz Yellow

Dive Signal 45" Tube with Inflator

There is a big difference between a "safety sausage" which is designed for use only on the surface and a "surface marker" which can be deployed from depth.

The later has a OPV. I have never seen a Dive Rite one that didn't have an OPV but that doesn't mean they didn't ever make them.

here are some examples of buoys that are not approved for launching from depth:

Akona Safety Tube Hi-Viz Yellow

Dive Signal 45" Tube with Inflator

Hrmmm - the SMB in the second link looks VERY familiar. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom