Bail up bottle Back up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok what size do you all use as a bail up bootle (back up ) for your wreck dives , and cave diving.

Ah, I remember my first "bail up bootle"

:D

But seriously, when I was diving a single steel tank in wreck I used a slung 40cf bottle. Figured I'd have it when I eventually went more tech, which I did.

Pro's

- lots of extra gas in a 40cf vs 19, 13, etc
- slinging allows you to move it out of the way as needed in tight spots
- now a dedicate 100% O2 bottle

Con's

- uhh...
- umm...
- I got nothing...

the other 130cf bottle in my set of doubles

Ah, I remember my first "bail up bootle"

Don't mock Southerners. They carry guns.

For penetration, I use a manifolded twin-set (doubles) and apply the rule of thirds for gas management.

You can use an independant stage/bail-out... but if you do, this should be of sufficient capacity for you to apply the same 'rule of thirds' to cover your egress from the wreck and ascent in the event of a catastrophic loss of gas from your single cylinder.

ok a back up tank then when I doing normal every day wreck diving.. thinking of a 40

So far only 2 80s for cave...but I'm working on it:)

You can't go wrong with an AL40. Be sure and get a Luxfer and CylTec as they ride much better then Catalinas which tend to be too negative and don't ride well when slung.

A 40 isn't much bigger then a 30 (which is the smallest I'd recommend) but is much more usable later (if you go tech) or marketable if you decide to sell it.

I'd highly recommend you sling it like a stage instead of mounting it on your tank. If you're going to go the back-mounted option you might as well go to doubles.

You can't go wrong with an AL40. Be sure and get a Luxfer and CylTec as they ride much better then Catalinas which tend to be too negative and don't ride well when slung.

I dive luxfers (open water), but many people prefer Catalinas for penetration since they don't float way up when empty.

I dive luxfers (open water), but many people prefer Catalinas for penetration since they don't float way up when empty.

If he's penetrating anything, I sure hope he goes with doubles instead. IMO a pony only makes sense for deepish, recreational, open water diving. If you're going deeper, colder or inside anything, doubles are the only way to go.

Back
Top Bottom