About to purchase a BP/wing setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mth71

Registered
Reaction score
Hi to all of you divers out there! After much research and talking with a number of individuals on this site, to whom I owe a great debt of gratitude, I have decided upon a BP/wing setup as my first gear purchase. I will probably be buying in just a few weeks, unfortunately probably not before I go away for the July 4th weekend, but that's okay, I don't want to rush anything. When I actually go to buy the gear, I'd like to get everything I need all at once, so I have am looking for a little more advice before I go for it.

I've been looking at the Extreme Exposure site, as that's probably where I'll buy the wing, but I'll be getting a FredT backplate (but I have no idea if I should get a heavy SS plate or the aluminum). Anyway, what I really want to find out about is the different weighting systems. Extreme Exposure offers two types of Halcyon Active Control Ballast systems and the trim weights for the tank. Does anyone have any input on those weight systems? They seem to be very expensive, not to mention bulky. While I hope I can get away from an annoying weight belt (even though I don't need that much weight - just around 15 lbs), I'd probably prefer that over the huge ACB canister system.

That's about the only question I have. I don't think I'm missing anything. I've got the BP and wing chosen (FredT and Pioneer 27 lb). Do I need to buy the webbing separately? How about D-rings - any recommendations on number and size? Most of my diving in the next year at least will be purely recreational, though I would love to get into technical as my experience grows, so I may not need the rings right now, but I don't mind buying them and setting the gear up once from the outset. How about pockets or padding? Any advice would be appreciated. I am grateful for *all* replies as each one is based on someone's personal experience, and is not based on some sales pitch (hopefully).

Mark

I think I may have mistated something in my original post. From the pictures on the Extreme Exposure site, I had mistakenly thought that the canister shown in them was part of the weight system, but upon closer inspection I see that I was wrong (I don't know what I was thinking). In that case, what is the difference between the ACB+ and the ACB? There's one setup for $132 and another for $162, and I really don't know what the difference is, or why either one is so expensive. Anyway, sorry about the mistake in my post, I hope I didn't confuse anyone.

Mark

If you email fred, he'll send you a complete pricelist, including the cost of the harness kit he sells.

As for weighting you have a number of options, including heavy plates, P-Weights (a weight that fits in the channel of the backplate), Heavy single tank adapters.

You should be able to get down to a relatively light weight belt, with some combination of them, and shouldn't have to resort to the ACB system or tank weights.

The more expensive ACB system has more weight capacity (I think 30lbs vs. 20 lbs). I had a set for about 5 dives and sold them. Don't waste your money. A weight belt is easier to use, cheaper, and more versatile.

Matt

I just use a weight belt.

As far as your harness goes, FredT might be able to set up the harness for you with the d-rings and all withyour bp, all you'll need to do is adjust the shoulder straps when you get it, and trim the excess webbing around the waist.

the Al plate is a good choice. Especially with the airlines tightening their weight restrictions on carryon bags, etc.

How about the Halcyon secure harness system? Is that just a different way of attaching the backplate, or is it a weight securing system?

I think I'll try to get FredT's input on what I need for a complete system. From what I've read on this board, I can trust him without worrying about being sold something that I don't need.

Thanks Scubadent. Anything else I'm missing?

Well as a user of the ACB20 (10lbs per side), I find it works fine, but they are expensive to buy new. If you decide to go that route, keep an eye on eBay for the people that sell them when they find out that they're not DIR :wink: The larger ACB30 looks to be much bulkier (haven't used them), with additional handles that the ACB20 doesn't have, but the ACB20 holds a single 10lb solid weight, or a 5lb soft weight, per side, and is not much more bulkier than that. They basically disappear underwater, and give you a decent amout of ditchable weight. I prefer them to a weightbelt. The plastic buckle locks the weights into place, I've done over 50 dives with mine and never had problems with a weight accidently falling out.

Ask FredT to make you a channel weight for his plate. I have no idea how much weight you use, but if you have a normal SS plate + channel weight, that's about 14 pounds depending on how the channel weight is poured. Put the rest of the weight (really shouldn't be much) on a weight belt, works beautifully. Just try to have a significant amount ditchable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom