Masks???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBrett22

Lionfish Slayer
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well on Monday i went to the DMV to get my permit and they asked me to read line number 5 i couldn't :shocked2: so i needed glasses. So i went to the eye doctor today and i am getting glasses for anything far from me. Is there any masks that you can put prescription in your mask like built in. If so how much does that cost. I am not getting contacts sorry had to say that i know some one will ask. Oh and my left eye has a reading of 1.25 and my right 1.00 just throwing it out there. :cool2:

Last edited:
Can't tell you about the costs in your location.Overhere they would go for 70/90 euro a pair
But almost all 2 lens masks can be fitted with perscription lenzes.

There are different manufactures that offer prescription lenses. You can also get generic lenses that have set dioptics. My first mask, which I still have, has the generic style lenses. My new Atomic mask has my actual prescription ground, and applied to the lenses of the mask. As far as cost, my first mask cost $50 for each of the lenses and $75 for the mask. I do not know what the prescription for the Atomic cost, it was a gift.

In our area, when someone wants prescription lenses, we tell them to pick out any two lens mask they want. Then we send them to a local optician that specializes in sports glasses. They take care of it. You will probably find something similar in your area.

I just got certified a couple months ago, and since I wear glasses, that was a concern of mine. But my experience has been that the water provides enough "correction" that I really don't miss my glasses while diving. Give it a try before spending any money.

Well, since you are only slightly nearsighted, and nothing under water is ever far away [unlike the highway], I really don't think mask corrective lenses are necessary.
Depending on your age, over 40?, you may actually find the lenses negatively affecting close up vision. Everything goes to hell as you get older.

Too bad about contact lenses, cheap and easy to use different powers. I use different lenses for dive trips, as opposed to being home.

Tusa masks, for instance, have orderable replacement lenses in different powers, and perhaps LDS would let you try before using.

Typically DMV tests both eyes individually for vision legibility, but in the real world we use both eyes, and the one with clearest vision should take precedence.

Underwater optics are a bit different than air, so first decide if there's something underwater you cannot see well enough before investing money.

By the way, I've gone thru a variety of different options over the years, insert lenses, split, full lens, stock and custom ground, and never was that happy with any of those soloutions, considering the cost involved.

All of my masks have built-in prescription lenses and they costed me $150/pair. I have very bad astigmatism and extremely nearsighted. However, with regular masks on, I function just fine underwater because of the water's natural magnification. I do lose out on some colors and details though and that's why I shelled out the extra bucks for prescription lenses.

Let me clarify: the masks get sent out to an optometrist shop and they bond the prescription lenses to the stock lenses.

Now, some mask manufacturers make accessory corrective lenses that you can swap out with the stock lenses. They aren't as exact as prescription lenses but if your eyes are only mildly off, they will do just fine for cheaper prices.

One lady that I dive with now and then whose eyes are so nearsighted that she's almost legally blind. She uses BOTH contacts AND those funky bubble-eyed masks. The contacts are like half her normal prescriptions and the bubble-eyed masks take care of the rest.

Google "prescription scuba mask". You'll find them anywhere from $69.95 to too rich for my blood. They will cobble up a mask for you by asking for the numbers on your last eye exam.

I just got certified a couple months ago, and since I wear glasses, that was a concern of mine. But my experience has been that the water provides enough "correction" that I really don't miss my glasses while diving. Give it a try before spending any money.

Ditto... My eyes need -1.5 and -1.75 correction and can see most everything just fine with just my mask... Most everything I need to pay attention to is close up anyways so I don't need to correct for it.

Ken

You miss the details on your dive if you don't have good vision. I'd recommend getting correction.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom