Myrtle Beach -- Coastal Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

msg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got back from Myrtle Beach vacation. I got to do my very first boat dive. I have done many quarry dives, but only one ocean dive. It was so cool. I have certainly missed out. I can't wait to get back to MB and dive some more.
The dive was on "the Sherman", 51 foot depth, 30 foot vis. The water was in the mid to upper 70's. It may be a shallow dive for most, but it was an awesome dive for me.
The guys at Coastal Scuba were great to dive with and very helpful. My only regret was that I wasn't able to dive the following Thursday. May be next time.:D

Glad you enjoyed it. That was also my first ocean dive, same conditions, a few years ago. You're in for some good times.

MSG,
My two sons are going to take their OW class in September. My oldest son is 23 and the youngest will be 11 on September 2, so he will be getting his Jr. OW. To celebrate, I want to take them to Myrtle Beach for a charter dive with either Coastal Scuba or Express Water Sports. The Sherman is one of the sites I am considering. I've never dove the Sherman and was wondering if you would mind describing the dive, to help me decide on where to go. What condition is the wreck in? What kinds of sea life can be seen there?

William,
The dive was great. It was my first boat dive, most of my diving is in the quarry. The guys at Coastal Scuba are great. The Sherman is approx. 6mi off shore, in 51ft of water. The DM will attach a line to the wreck, set all of the hang lines and drag line. Once you roll off of the boat, you will be greeted by the barracudas, not to worry. Make your descent down the anchor line and you will see the vessel begin to appear (at approx 30ft). As you reach the bottom, you can swim along the vessel and observe the the remaining rib structure, the smoke stacks, and at the stern, you can see the rudder and prop. There are spade fish, sea urchins, star fish, and scores of bait fish. I wish I could name all of the different fish, but ...
The current on the vessel at the time of our dive was very slight to almost non-existent. Vis was about 30ft. If you like, you can even search for relics, but I was so taken with the site, I did not look. Hopefully when you go on the dive, your conditions will be equally as good. They were also doing a dive at Barracuda Alley later in the week, but I wasn't able to make that dive.
I think your boys will like the dive, hopefully they won't get spooked by the barracuda. I only mention it because there was a 10 year old on our trip who did get a bit scared and sea sick.
It is a nice site. I would like to go back and dive it again. It is well worth the $75 for the trip. The worst part of the dive is that it is over too quick. My first dive, with safety stop was 40min, second dive was 36 min. Boy, time flies when you are having fun. Enjoy your trip and congrats to your boys on their certs. Let me know what you think of the dive when you get back.
Shane

The Sherman with Coastal Scuba was my first Ocean dive as well! Awesome dive and fond memories!!

Congratulations!!

I also dove with Coastal Scuba, great operation. My only two complaints. The hour drive fron Surfside beach, second the 6-8 foot waves. The Sherman is a cool site worth the trip. The Carlolina Rig is a great setup for boat diving.

We fortunately only had 2-3ft seas. Made my day more enjoyable.

Just finished OW cert last weekend at JMR Quarry in Blanch NC. I'll be doing my first boat dive at the Sherman on Tue. the 18th and Barracuda Alley on the 20th. Been on plenty of snorkel boats though and after diving in the quarry, i decided i'm an 80/80 diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom