What do you think of cave/cavern diving?

What do you think of cave/cavern diving?

• Too dark, too dangerous, no way.

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • Why would you dive to look at rocks and mud?

Votes: 23 13.2%
  • I'd do caverns, but not full cave penetration.

Votes: 33 19.0%
  • It is challenging and exciting.

Votes: 77 44.3%
  • I am only happy when wedged in a deep dark hole.

Votes: 27 15.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhone Man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Deliberately posting in "basic scuba discussions" to get a broad spread of opinion.

As a diver, I just don't get the whole concept of why cave diving should be fun. So I am wondering if it is the cave divers that are the weirdos, or me?

Nothing....why would you want to put yourself at such risk??? They have all lost their marbles :)

PS. I do like the Cenotes though, some of me best dives every, amazing colors and great viz.

The caves I have seen are among the most beautiful and tranquil places on earth, After my first cave dive I was hooked and could easily have walked away from any other diving I have done to do only cave dives.

I can't figure out what people like so much about reef diving, looking at fish does nothing for me.

Have you ever done it?

:eyebrow:

God, no. The concept terrifies me. They die in there you know!

yo

I love it and have done over 2500 cave dives in the last 15 years either open circuit backmounted or sidemounted of with rebreathers either SCR or CCR. I live very close to them in Mexico and the reason for me to live here is them caves ...

greetings
Matt

After my first cave dive, I quit my high paying aerospace engineering job, sold my house in Colorado and moved to North Central Florida so I could work as a tank monkey and dive the caves!

There is nothing in the world more rewarding then the feeling you get when cave diving!

Be safe and have fun in the water! Bruce

How about wreck penetration?

A wreck is nothing more than a metal cave.

It is, but they (usually) have multiple exits, and you don't go hundreds (or thousands) of feet into wrecks. Wrecks make me nervous, but I'll do it. Not caves though.

Wrong.. The concept may be the same in theory but thats it. In a wreck you dont see beautiful geological formations or fossils from millions of years ago. Cant compare the two.

How about wreck penetration?

A wreck is nothing more than a metal cave.

Back
Top Bottom