QD questions for Wisdom 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divin'dog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Sorry if these are dumb questions about quick-disconnect connections. I'm about to pull the trigger on a Wisdom 2 and wasn't sure if I wanted a quick-disconnect or not.

If I have my computer hooked up to the hose but the pressure is not on, is there a problem with water getting into the connection i.e. I wade into the water and forgot to turn on my tank? Rinsing?

If the pressure in the hose is what keeps the computer from coming off (aside from the simple catch on the connection), is there another fail-safe to make sure your computer can't come off when the pressure is off? For instance, I'm handing my gear over and it's not hooked up to a tank. All of a sudden Ploop! and it's in the water. Any concerns?

Lastly, when on vacation many times I leave my equipment on the boat in between dives, getting lunch, etc. any concerns that this piece of equipment is easier to steal than an entire setup?

There is no problem if the computer gets wet when the hose is not pressurized.

I won't say it is impossible to come off if the hose isnt pressurized, but we don't hear about that as a problem, others might have a different opinion.

If you are leaving your equipment on the boat then it will certainly be easier to steal. That's why you have the QD, take the computer with you without taking the hose of the first stage. Keep it with you all the time. Take it back to your room at night.

Here is something to consider 95% of the Wisdom computers we sell are with the QD. We sell very few without.

I had a wisdom 1 for a few years and the QD was 100% convenient and maybe 2% problems. I would get the QD, no question.

The 2% problems was just that disconnecting the computer makes it possible to misplace it. Being able to take the computer back to your room, or taking it with you while the reg is in checked bags or rinsed by a full service dive op more than made up for the 2%.

I actually upgraded to the QD last year and can say that it was a good experience. I feel very confident taking the computer for safekeeping while on extended dive trips.

Hey divin'dog

I bought the Wisdom2 with quick disconnect. It has been the Caribbean a few times and got me through AOW, Wreck, Rescue Diver and I'm now working on my DM. I am very happy with it and definitely glad I got the QD.

I've washed my computer by itself, i.e. not connected to the first stage at all. No problems. There is no worry about water getting in through the QD.

The pressure from the host is not what keeps the computer from coming off. It is slightly spring loaded. You have to push it on and twist. The spring keeps it from twisting open. There is absolutely no concern of the computer coming off when you don't want it to.

I never worry about my gear getting stolen. Technically, it would be easy for someone to pop the computer off and steal it. However, if the set up is on a tank and the tank valve is open, they will have a hard time getting the computer off. If the regulator is not connected to the tank then it wouldn't be much harder to scoop the entire setup.

I don't think I've known anyone to have their dive gear stolen off a boat. I've known people to leave equipment on a tarp while they go shore diving (lights, weights, etc.) and it gets stolen but not a boat.

Back
Top Bottom