wet suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peejymvl

Registered
Reaction score
is there a specific type of wet suit for diving? I went to local beachfront shops and see no real difference between dive shops and surf shops suits, except price....i want to buy a wet suit from the surf shop as it is about $100, while the dive shop starts around $175

The difference is the material, you have many various sort of neoprene. A surf suit is warm on the Surface and would be colder to use then a same thickness suit for diving. It works the other way around as well. If you are diving in Tropical waters the difference will be less but still noticeable on longer dives.

The main diferernce is the thickness of the neoprene,
as you dive deeper the neoprene compresses so you have to decide on the thickness of material.
Surf suits often use a combenation 3-2-5 etc
2mm on flexing joins ,3 on arms and legs for movement and 5mm on the chest.
Dive suits as a rule have one thickness throughout.
Hence a price diff.
I personally dive a surf suit in warmer water as the combenation
suits me.
Howard

Like it has been said, check out the thickness throughout the whole suit.

Personally, I bought my 3mm johnnie and jacket from a white water river outfit. They had a jacket that was a real jacket that didn't have legs. I like the mix and match capability I have with it with my 1mm full suit that I always use as a base. Plus, the quality was better, and it came with a quarentee. http://www.nrscatalog.com/

Back
Top Bottom