First questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanshin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
First post, so sorry if it's not the most apropiate forum.

For reference, I've just finished the OWD.

About the equipment:
- How do you choose a mask? The two main things that bother me about masks are: letting water in if I don't keep the strap very tight and pressing my upper lip against the regulator. What other things should I take into consideration?

- What types of fins are there and how to choose a pair?

- Should I choose a wetsuit just by putting them on in the store until I find one that fits?

- I'm not planning on buying anything (big) more than that for a while (not before reaching 10-15 immersions). Should I?

- What pieces of equipment (other than the basic suit and air supply) do you like to bring with you?

Thank you.

So far, I have got my mask & fins (off of your list)

I went into the store and tried on the sample masks in there. The basic test that I did was just feeling how the mask fit, tried the suction test (no strap and see if it can stay on), and just a general 'do I like this'. I ended up going with the Titanica mask because that was the one that I just felt right in.

When I went to get the fins & booties, I hoofed it over to a local shop with my dive buddy (who has a year's more experience than I do). We found a good fin for cold weather diving that was a bright yellow ... The LDS gave some really good recommendations off of their stock.

- How do you choose a mask? The two main things that bother me about masks are: letting water in if I don't keep the strap very tight and pressing my upper lip against the regulator. What other things should I take into consideration?
Buying a mask is all a question of personal fit.

The best way to test a mask, in-store, is to place the mask on your face without the straps. Breath in through your nose and the mask should stick to your face. If it sticks, then it has a air (water) tight seal.

Look in a mirror whilst doing this...and check for skin creases. Make sure you have no hair etc trapped under the mask skirt. Sometimes facial hair (stubble/beard/mustache) can cause water leaks.

Popular brands would be the Cressi 'Big Eyes' and Mares 'Liquidvision'.

There is an infinite variety of fins. Some are very basic, wheras some offer specific advantages in particular areas (power, maneauverability, speed).

At the high-end cost, you have Force Fins, Jet Fins and Split Fins.

In the medium bracket, you have good all-rounders - like the Mares Quattro.

Or you can get any sort of cheap and cheerful basic fins....

There are many posts on these forums describing the pros and cons of different fins.

- Should I choose a wetsuit just by putting them on in the store until I find one that fits?

Fit is everything! To get a comfortable fit, you must try them on. Also make sure that the thickness / thermal insulation of the suit is suitable for the location where you will be diving in. If you don't know what that is...search the forums here, as there are posts on it.

- I'm not planning on buying anything (big) more than that for a while (not before reaching 10-15 immersions). Should I?

There is no rush to purchase your gear. In fact, the slower you take, the more informed you will be when you make your purchases. There is lots of great info here on Scubaboard....but you need some personal experience, so that you can work out what is best for you.

Many people want a mask and wetsuit early, because they don't want to use rental ones that a thousand other people have phlegmed or urinated into. I don't blame them! :wink:

- What pieces of equipment (other than the basic suit and air supply) do you like to bring with you?

A small torch, slate (wetnotes - and underwater notebook), a whistle, a small finger reel (15-30m of line) and a Delayed Surface Marker Buoy. Also a dive computer (did you mean small in size or cost? LOL).

There are two types of fins, solid fins and split fins. If you buy split fins you will die.
:popcorn:
OK, you can disregard this post.:wink: I just had to make it considering the rigorous debates that has raged on ScubaBoard regarding these fins.

Thanks for all the info.

A small torch, slate (wetnotes - and underwater notebook), a whistle, a small finger reel (15-30m of line) and a Delayed Surface Marker Buoy. Also a dive computer (did you mean small in size or cost? LOL).

What's a "small finger reel" and how would I use one? "Delayed Surface Marker"? That's a floating chalk-line?

I think I'll go for the computer right after the suit.

For the rest I'll have to lurk the equipment forum a bit... Because there is an equipment forum, right?

There are multiple equipment forums, full of good information and strong opinions (and sometimes they're the same thing :) ).

A finger spool is what it sounds like -- a spool with nylon line wound on it. It is commonly attached to a surface marker buoy, which is a cylindrical "balloon" which can be inflated underwater and sent to the surface, to mark where the divers are beneath. It's a safety device for boat diving, to let the boat know where you are on ascent, or on the surface, if you don't come up right nearby.

I travel with all my gear. My stuff fits me and is adjusted properly, and I know how it works and how it's been maintained.

The two main things that bother me about masks are: letting water in if I don't keep the strap very tight and pressing my upper lip against the regulator.

More often than not, leaky masks are caused by people wearing them TOO TIGHT! The purpose of the strap is to keep the mask from falling off your head...not to crank it down on to your face! By over tightening it you cause the mask seals to deform and not seal properly.

More often than not, leaky masks are caused by people wearing them TOO TIGHT! The purpose of the strap is to keep the mask from falling off your head...not to crank it down on to your face! By over tightening it you cause the mask seals to deform and not seal properly.

+1
I've dived a couple of times with my mask strap off the whole time and not knowing it until after I've surfaced. (This only happened after backroll entries; now I keep the mask strap secure with my left hand and the mask/reg secure with my right hand during entries - yes, I've a weight-intergrated BC). No need to crank down on the strap for sure!

Mask fit...this one is going to sound weird. Go to a good sunglasses shop and get you're face sized. Sunglasses, at least the better ones, make different models to accommodate different faces. SCUBA masks do the same thing, they just don't market it as well. I'm a 'small profile'. Oddly I've found that masks marketed to the women and children, fit better. My problem become color. Then try different masks. When you're out diving, try your buddies mask. It is so much more enjoyable when you're mask does not leak. When you find the one, buy two of the one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom