Trip Report: Sundancer II, June 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BTravlin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Trip report: Sundancer II Belize, June 18-27, 2009

Thursday, 6/18
Flights down went well and since we arrived in Belize two days prior to sailing our luggage arrived on time with us. One outer zipper compartment had busted open and my wetsuit was hanging out but, thankfully, nothing was lost or damaged.

We had arranged to spend our first two nights at the Villa Boscardi B & B there in Belize City and had also arranged for them to pick us up at the airport for a fee of $25US. The Sundancer II rate includes round trip airport transfer if you arrive on the day the boat sails but we were two days early. Villa Boscardi rep was waiting for us outside the terminal and twenty minutes later we were at the B & B.

Rooms were neat and clean with private baths, TV's and A/C. Took some time to rest up from the trip and then went out to dinner at the Chon Saan Palace Restaurant on Kelly Street at the recommendation of Francoise, the B & B proprietor. In addition to Chinese fair, they also offered sushi which was very good. Our table for four turned out to be too small with all the food we ordered. Everything was excellent. I highly recommend the Tuna Avocado Tartar and the Tenderloin with Black Bean Sauce. Our bill came up to $295BZ ($2BZ = $1US). Food was excellent and our waiter was very personable.

Villa Boscardi is a nice option for those wanting to save a little money on lodging. Room rates are $65-75 per night. There is not much around the B & B but it makes for a good base of operations if you're going on tours during the day. The Sundancer II and the Belize Aggressor both dock behind the Fort George Radisson Hotel there in Belize City. This location offers more within walking distance but rates are $155 and up. Peter Hughes can get you a discount off the regular rate. I wasn't impressed with Belize City at all so the B & B was a good option in my opinion.

Friday, 6/19
We had booked a combination Cave Tubing and Belize Zoo tour with Ivar Marchand whom I had read about on the Cruise Critic forum. Ivar was to pick us up at 8:30 am there at the B & B for the full day tour. Price was $95 pp which included round trip transportation from the B & B, lunch, drinks, snacks and any admission fees. Ivar arrived early with bad news. Seems as if it had been raining steadily for two full days prior to our arrival and the swollen river had flooded the caves. No cave tubing for a few days at least. Ivar suggested a few alternatives and we decided to visit the Lamanai Mayan ruins. Price for this tour was $110 pp and, again, was all inclusive. Ivar had a comfortable passenger van and drove us a little under an hour north of Belize City to Orange Walk where we changed modes of transportation for a 25 mile boat ride down the New River through the jungle. The ride was pleasant with spider monkeys and a large variety of birds to be seen along the way. The ruins and Ivar's knowledge of the history and surrounding area were equally impressive. He also knows more about America than most Americans I know. I highly recommend Ivar if you're interested in a personal tour guide. e-mail: pbuay@yahoo.com or local cell phone: 667-1481 or 620-5487

Ate dinner the second night at the Chon Saan Palace again since everyone thoroughly enjoyed it the first go around.

Saturday, 6/20
Slept in late and checked out about 11 am. Took a taxi to the Ft. George Radisson and left our luggage with the bellman while we took a walking tour of the city. This service is free of charge for guests of the Sundancer II. You can also use their pool for a small fee. Both of these options come in handy since boarding is not until 4 PM. The walking tour was ... interesting. I'd have been better off staying at the pool. I've traveled extensively around the Caribbean, Central America and some in South America and I have to say Belize City is one of the least impressive places I've been.

Returned to the Radisson and spent the rest of the afternoon at the pool having lunch and drinks. Many other guests of the Sundancer II arrived intermittently throughout the afternoon and we got to know one other a little prior to boarding. We were surprised to see two people arrive who we had met approximately a year earlier when diving with the Turks & Caicos Explorer II. Small world indeed!

Boarded boat shortly before 4 pm and were shown our cabin. The crew retrieved our luggage from the hotel and brought it to our cabin a short while later. We were in Cabin # 7 and were pleased with the size and layout. Very nice large window provided great views and made the room bright during the day. Cabin and bathroom were both decent size for a liveaboard. We felt like the AC was somewhat lacking and asked to have it looked at which they did promptly. We did notice an improvement but were still on the warm side. Other guests also had this complaint while others said there cabins were cold as meat lockers. We also had one other issue where we returned from a dive to find that a pipe had leaked water in our cabin. The crew had already caught it and wet vacced up the mess so it was no big deal.

We were given a quick tour of boat and then attended the mandatory safety meeting regarding life jackets, abandon ship routine, fire control, etc. Nice to see that there were only 12 passengers out of 20 possible. Boat is large and spacious to begin with so having only 12 guests made it even better. The boat is very well appointed and the dive deck is really well laid out. All tanks are on the outside rails with wetsuits hung in the middle. Ample storage space under your station. Two camera tanks, two camera tables and charging station are at front end of dive deck. Rinse tanks for gear and rinse buckets for masks are near the steps leading down to dive deck and ladders. Freshwater shower with endless supply of hot water on each side of boat at rear. Two large ladders with wide steps and full rails provided to exit water. Fresh warm towels available after each dive. Hot chocolate, with or without rum, available after night dives.

Sunday, 6/21 thru Thursday, 6/25
Followed same routine each day starting with breakfast followed by two morning dives, lunch, move to new dive site, two afternoon dives, dinner and a night dive. Snacks were provided between both the morning and afternoon dives.

Breakfast consisted of assorted fruits, cereals, yogurts and breads plus a few special order options the cook would make for you. Lunches were served buffet style while dinners were served at your table. Everyone thought the food was very good all week long. Compliments to Geri, the chef. Coffee was available around the clock and their was also a soda fountain with several options to choose from. Cold beer was readily available in fridges and also on tap. There was also a small selection of other adult beverages available.

Diving was pretty much on your own unless you wanted a guide. They had a DM in the water on every dive so you could follow them or do your own thing as you pleased. DM's were also always available as dive buddies if needed. Crew carefully noted each diver going into and exiting the water. We dove 32% Nitrox all week and fills were accurate as to the blend and were consistently 3,000 to 3,200 psi.

I did 22 dives during the week and really enjoyed the area. Most sites were similar as wall dives going out using about 1,000 psi and then up through a cut to grassy sand flats for the return to the boat. Usually got back to the boat with plenty of air left to explore grassy areas under boat for awhile before ascending to hang bar for safety stop. Very little current most of the week.

Boat always ties off to mooring balls at dive sites and the wind then blows boat back and forth along an arc. Boat isn't always where you got into the water but if you wait a little while it always comes back. Sailing along on the hang bar during your safety stops is a fun ride.

Critters seen during the week: eagle rays, southern rays, turtles, squid, tarpon, barracuda, lobster, pipefish, pipehorse, lots of juvenile drum, two lion fish (one captured), yellow spotted eel, yellowheaded jawfish, garden eels, fire worms, spotted snake eel, nudibranches, Xmas tree worms, featherdusters, flamingo tongues, 300 lb + 150 lb Groupers on night dive hunting by our lights, moray eel, arrow crabs, cleaner shrimp, peacock flounder, juvenile flounder and the Belizean spotted toadfish. One dive had so many stingrays we lost count, seriously.

Friday, 6/26
Two morning dives and then returned to Belize City. We elected to just relax and hang out on the boat while some people went on tours. Ate dinner on the boat and watched a movie in the evening.

Saturday, 6/27
Had breakfast and then transferred to airport for flight home.

Excellent week of diving. The boat was very nice. The food was excellent. Most importantly, the crew was the best. Captain James and First Officer Marnie run a tight ship and the crew is exceptional. They work well together as a team, had a consistently excellent attitude and were always looking to be helpful. Feel free to PM me if you have other questions.

Photos available here: http://turkscaicosexplorerii.shutterfly.com/

Last edited:
Nice report. Thanks for posting!!:D I particularly appreciate all your info regarding pre-boarding activities and also your photos of the boat. Those are things some people forget to include in their reports. Sounds like a great trip!!!:D

Thanks.

One thing I forgot to mention was our entry into the Blue Hole. If you check out the pictures, you can see where Capt. James piloted the boat through the reef opening into the Blue Hole by remote control. He had a wired remoted control leading from the wheelhouse out to the deck in front. Gave him a better vantage point to see the reef. Said it was his version of Wii and, as you can see, he even tries to put a little spin on his maneuvers!

Hi Bill...excellent report...sounds like you and Heather had a awesome time.....I wasn't impressed with Belize City either....I just had the taxi driver take us to the wood carvers shop and back to the Radisson....dirty city....I am heading back to Cozumel in Jan. when is your next trip there? Thanx for sharing your report and pictures...:)

Hi, Ann. Thanks, and yes, we had an excellent trip and met a lot of nice people on board. We just got back from Coz on 7/26. Had not been planning to take two trips so close together but the deals in Coz were so good we couldn't pass it up. We had RT air for 2 plus waterview room at Hotel Cozumel with breakfast buffet included for 8 nights for only $1,040 total. And no bag drag either.

Wish we could meet you in Coz in January but I'm afraid Heather will be teaching.

We have a group of us looking to book another liveaboard trip for late June, 2010. Will try to book most or all of boat to get free slot to split amongst everyone. Let me know if you're interested. The Winddancer in Grenada is one option under consideration.

I'll keep you informed as things develop. I believe we have 8 people pretty firm so far.

Hope you have a great trip to Coz in January. Heather says Hi!

PH is moving the Wind Dancer to Cocos Island CR. No more Grenada. :(

By the way, I was on the SDII two weeks prior. Did Capt. J or Marnie talk about PH being on the boat the week before your boat? A few of my fellow divers got a chance to meet and greet with him.

Also, recommend the Mermaid restaurant where DM Aaron plays on Friday nights. It's located across from the Radisson.

Back
Top Bottom