AOW right after OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanshin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In this case, it's not about a lack of information, it's about a lack of consistency. I've read multiple opinions in both senses in various threads, so now I'm a bit lost.

Is it useful to enter an aow course right after passing the ow? Or will I just lose time and money.

My first impression was that it would be a nice way of learning during my first immersions (it's not so much more expensive than the immersions themselves). However, I've also read some people saying it's better to do some immersions first and then do the aow.

It really depends onthe AOW course and what you plan to get out of it. Personally I require a set number of dives and may require a pool session and a couple OW dives to see if the student is ready for my AOW course. And by ready I mean not just skills, but knowledge, attitude, and judgement wise.

In this case, it's not about a lack of information, it's about a lack of consistency. I've read multiple opinions in both senses in various threads, so now I'm a bit lost.

Is it useful to enter an aow course right after passing the ow? Or will I just lose time and money.

My first impression was that it would be a nice way of learning during my first immersions (it's not so much more expensive than the immersions themselves). However, I've also read some people saying it's better to do some immersions first and then do the aow.

By asking the question again, you are certain to get the same differing opinions you found all the other times the question was asked, and you are not likely to get any response that will provide any greater clarification.

In my case, I did do the AOW right after OW, and it was a good decision. In all activities like diving, I recommend getting a lot of early instruction so that when you are practicing your skills you are more likely to be developing good habits rather than poor habits.

I found it's good to have some dives - 15-20 before taking it. Before that you were given enough skills in OW to practice. If your instructor is good you will take more out of AOW. They can watch your at point to your mistakes and after getting some dives you get better idea or things so you can evaluate what they are saying more effectively. If your instructor will be the one of a conveyor "put another dollar in (no reference to PADI) and here is your card, please come again" then it does not matter when you take it.

Further instruction for inexperienced divers can never be a bad thing can it?

I work in the industry, and we were required to have 50 dives before taking the AOW. Make sure that you are completely comfortable and can INSTINCTIVELY master ALL the skills you learned in OW. Then add AOW.

The only time I think further instruction can hurt, is when you have a diver who has not mastered the skill sets taught in OW. I have seen some divers attempt the skills learned in AOW, but they were still struggling with the lessons learned in OW.

I work in the industry, and we were required to have 50 dives before taking the AOW. Make sure that you are completely comfortable and can INSTINCTIVELY master ALL the skills you learned in OW. Then add AOW.

ditto, OW gives a lot of skills to master w/o AOW. There is no reason of going to 100' w/o feeling completely comfortable of doing OW skills in shallower waters. Unless all the stuff you can see in your area is laying in that range.

Once I take OW and feel like I have the hang of things taught there then I will take AOW. Whether that's right after OW or not just depends on how fast I catch on.

Go ahead, I know plenty of Dive Masters and Instructors that can't dive for crap, and only have a handful of dives, but they have the cert. cards and the patches.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom