There this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

msedivingdoc

Reaction score
This was the first weekend that I dove at Gilboa. Mike was assisting us in the shop when the call came and he was down to the front like a lightening bolt! I was in one way glad to have the incident happen...hear me out... I am now confident that If something happens at the quarry that the staff is well trained and reacts like a team in an Emergency Room coding a patient. As for the poor diver I hear he will live. As a junior diver, 25 logged dives, I've realized long before this that the need for instruction is paramount to my survival. My instructor has stressed that we plan a dive and dive it. Also it was stressed that we stay within our training! I'm not getting Advanced cert. till i'm comfortable doing all that my OW taught. Some of us like to push the limits because doing what someone has told you you can't exhilerates your ego. Diving is not a place for that and I hope some of the Newbies read this post and the rest like it. Dive a lot get comfortable, then move to the next level! Well that's it for me sorry to rant, but really the incident this weekend was the diver/ instructor; not Mike or Gilboa! Also mike thanks for the great tips on where to dive safely at Gilboa.... if you ask he'll tell you:)

msedivingdoc once bubbled...
This was the first weekend that I dove at Gilboa. Mike was assisting us in the shop when the call came and he was down to the front like a lightening bolt! I was in one way glad to have the incident happen...hear me out... I am now confident that If something happens at the quarry that the staff is well trained and reacts like a team in an Emergency Room coding a patient. As for the poor diver I hear he will live. As a junior diver, 25 logged dives, I've realized long before this that the need for instruction is paramount to my survival. My instructor has stressed that we plan a dive and dive it. Also it was stressed that we stay within our training! I'm not getting Advanced cert. till i'm comfortable doing all that my OW taught. Some of us like to push the limits because doing what someone has told you you can't exhilerates your ego. Diving is not a place for that and I hope some of the Newbies read this post and the rest like it. Dive a lot get comfortable, then move to the next level! Well that's it for me sorry to rant, but really the incident this weekend was the diver/ instructor; not Mike or Gilboa! Also mike thanks for the great tips on where to dive safely at Gilboa.... if you ask he'll tell you:)

Sounds like you had a good instructor. It isn't a new concept that things go wrong when people go too far to fast. The concept isn't unique to diving. What's the hurry. Enjoy being where you are. As a new diver there may be more to see that is within your reach than you can see in a lifetime. While it might be to a diveshops advantage to fast track a student through the ranks it may not be to the divers advantage.

I'm not telling divers when they should take an advanced class. However, for many it's just an example of too much too fast. I think it's easy for the instructor to tell when this is the case. It's also easy to keep a diver where they are until they are ready to progress (as long as they don't go someplace else).

Back to the original post. I have known mike since he took over the quarry. He is one of the most streight foreward and sincere people I have ever known. He does not place profit above safety although I think he's learning the hard way that others do. In fact my 17 year old son is there working for him as I write this. That wouldn't be the case if I didn't think it would be to his benefit to be there. While he thinks he's there to earn money for a car, he's really there to learn things that he doesn't yet know he needs to know. BTW, he's under strict orders not to dive without me being present. I know he'll obey cause mike will bust his chops if he don't. LOL

Mike is absolutely torn up by recent events. He is racking his brain trying to devise ways to prevent it. Unfortunately, the bottom line is that if the shops and instructors don't do their job Mike doesn't have a chance. My bet is he'll spend a ton of money to make it more convenient for instructors to make the right choices. If you ask me he's cought between a rock and a hard place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom