Pre-Dive Nerves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubAfr33k

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'll cut to the chase here, I'm pretty new to spearfishing and the idea of aggressive sharks has gotten me into a bit of a rut. Normally, sharks don't bother me in the slightest; I've seen dozens of them and I've enjoyed every encounter I've had so far. However, with dead fish hanging off the end of my pole spear I might start to look like an appetizing meal instead of a casual passer-by.

Needless to say, I'm getting kind of nervous about an upcoming spearo trip, and I'm finding that the only thought running through my head is "what if?" What if I encounter an overly-curious bull? What if he's aggressive? What if I'm too much of a wuss to defend myself properly? "What if" is such a dangerous phrase: it can make even mild dangers look like near-certainties, so what is the danger really? When I'm thinking in "what ifs" I can't make an accurate assessment, so I'll leave that task up to you.

I'm not used to this feeling; I'm known to be a very collected diver, methodical in my set up and relaxed in my movements, but I need some advice to help calm my nerves about this new undertaking. Thanks in advance for any help you might offer me, it is greatly appreciated.

Michael Laughlin

ive dove 8-10 ft bulls while spearing, and ill tell you it is a little unnerving. but from what ive seen if you stay aggressive enough that it can mistake you for food you should be ok, that or a pistol size pneumatic with a 357 power head in a thigh holster, as a back up gun will calm you worries, you can pick them up for around $200, least it did mine.

Back to OW training- "If you feel at all uneasy about a dive, don't make the dive!"

However, you can lessen the "risk" by not holding on to your catch. Use a float that will allow you to send your catch up to the surface while you continue your dive. If you must carry your catch, make sure you don't attach it to yourself. Personally, I use a fish clip that I hold in hand and can drop in an instant. Also make sure your catch is dead and not sending out attracting "distress" signals.

I have found that most of my issues are with morays that have come to associate divers with a free meal. They tend to follow you if you have something on the clip. When I encounter them, I simply ascend to a point where they won't follow. They seem to have a comfort zone where they can retreat to cover and will not ascend beyond it.

Craig

another idea is use a fish bag instead of a stringer, it breakes up the out line and the hides the fish.

I dove with a aggressive 8ft sand tiger while it didnt bother me and my dive buddy too much it did get pretty aggressive with the other two people that were diving with us. One of them had to hit it with the butt of his speargun.

In some areas, sharks are a big problem for spearfishing. I have done probably thousands of spearing dives and I absolutely hate to see sharks come in. In reality, you are NOT in control. One can come in and take off a chunk of your leg or arm, with no warning and carrying bleeding fish with you significantly increases the chance for an encounter.

The reality of the matter is that you will almost certainly be OK, but I have got out of a few situations by pure luck. Some things you can do:

Dive with a buddy who will back you up and jab or chase any sharks that sneak up on you when you are trying to subdue a fish.

Use a bag instead of a stringer (slower but safer) I use this for areas that have a moderate to low shark encounter probability (bulls, reef sharks etc.)

Use a lift bag to send fish to the surface (only works if drift diving and the boat is following you)

One of the most important things, is to carry a very sharp pointed knife that you can draw in less than 2 seconds and quickly stab the brain of the fish (discontinuation of the low frequency vibration is very important, even though it will release more blood)

Buy a shark shield, which many people believe are very effective to help maintain a safe perimeter (they won't work if the sharks get super excited, but I believe they help a lot).

A very important thing to do is when you see a big shark come near, say 30 -40 feet, go after it aggressively, chase it and point your gun at it's head and TRACK THE SHARK'S HEAD WITH THE GUN if you can get close to it! Fish hate it when you track them and chase them fast and point at their face. Make very sure that the shark knows that you see it, they do know where your head is and which way you are looking. This type of bluffing will generally make a single curious shark leave the area. If there are more than 2 sharks this won't work probably.

I think part of the sport is that you have to have a little faith that you won't get attacked. There is only so much you can do and scuba divers are deaf, slow and have huge blind spots that an agressive shark can capitalize on, so if it makes you too nervous, just don't hunt. I have refused to pull the trigger many times when the energy level gets too high. I get very nervous when multiple bull sharks begin to come in and they are playing off each others energy and become like a pack of dogs and competitive with each other. Never run from a shark, if they get close enough to jab with a gun or pole spear, defintely do it!

How about replacing the spear with a camera?

Hey pardner, you wandered into the wrong forum! If folks want to take pictures of fish, I'll be happy to pose my catch for em!:wink:

Craig

Michael,

You're honest with yourself, that's a good start.

You mentioned a pole spear, that's another one. Nothing is as quick to reload as a pole spear, so it's the weapon I'd want in a real sharky area. Commonly chosen by safety divers around shark feeding operations. Not as effective for hunting however, but a great start.

Forget the powerheads, not necessary and way too much for a novice to deal with, and often experienced guys too, especially on a pop gun.

Jim (dumpsterDiver) and I have a lot of spearing experience all over FL, and I agree with most of his comments, except the fish bag. I don't believe fish bags work and they slow you down hugely compared to using a good hoop stringer with a spike. Shark Shields are another thing I'll pass on. Float tubes for each fish work very well, as he's described, a technique developed for his area, SE FL. (We keep our usual signal marker tube and reel.) Gulf of Mexico divers (my area) rarely float fish up. We have less shark hassels than Atlantic divers, IMHO.

Another important thing is awareness, and from your bio it sounds like you have enough experience to be always looking all around.

I've dove your area on scuba and freeshafted red snapper and gags up there. The technique works well in clear water areas on bottom fish. Very accurate and it's always safer to not be attached to fishing gear. Don't dangle any fish, keep your fish tight in front of you if you are carrying. Dropping a stringer should be the last thing ever to do. Feeding predators makes them bolder.

Don't get caught up in worrying about sharks. Just be careful and efficient while spearing. The rest will take care of itself. Work with a good buddy for a while, but down the line going solo wil not be a significant factor in many cases. Solo spearfishing happens constantly even when you try not to be doing it.

Once you get used to shooting in your area, you've got to go rig spearfishing!

Good hunting!

Chad

Last edited:
How about replacing the spear with a camera?

:rofl3: Normally I'd be more than happy to do just that, but this is not really "MY" trip per se. I have a friend that is getting pretty hardcore into spearfishing and he wants me to come along. I agreed, so now social contract rules state that I need to uphold my end of the bargain (after all: his dad and a young girl that wants to fish are both coming along...but no other divers).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom