Wakulla & Bay County Sinks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-aholic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
After teaching the classroom and land line portion of a cavern class all day Saturday, I really needed to get in the water. Jen and I decided to take the Free Pass over to Hole in the Wall and do some more exploring of the upstream passage. We headed to the end of the line just past Alford’s Room and slowly started to make our way back out checking out the walls and ceilings of the passage looking for any passages we may have missed during our previous dives there. We did find a passage that will warrant further exploration on another dive. We think we might even know where it comes out. We spent over an hour in the water and had a great time during this dive.

Sunday was spent doing cavern dives in Jackson Blue for the cavern course that started on Saturday. We spent over 3 hours in the water working on the various cavern diving skills. Fortunately, I had a great student, so it was a very pleasant day.

Monday started off the week exploring some caves new to me. I woke up at 4am in preparation for the 1 ½ hour drive to Wakulla County. I have been planning on diving this particular cave for some months now, but every time I plan on heading over that way we got several days of downpours. Being that this system is prone to being blown out by heavy rains, none of those dives ended up happening. I was beginning to think I wouldn’t ever get a chance to dive it again. This time the weather was good to me. I made the necessary arrangements for access the evening before and headed over first thing Monday morning. I arrived at the site around 9am and walked over to the sink to check out conditions. They were as near perfect as one could hope for.

lcs3.jpg

This system has both an upstream side and a downstream side. My plans were to dive the downstream side this morning. The upstream side was crystal clear with the bottom easily visible through 20’ of water. The upstream side connects to another sink just across from the foot path from this sink.

lcs1.jpg

lcs2.jpg

The downstream side of the sink was covered with duck weed.

lcs6.jpg

After hauling my side mount cylinders full of trimix I had blended on Saturday during classroom breaks, my stage bottle full of 30% Nitrox, my 50% bottle and my 100% bottle, I was ready to get in the water. I suited up and made my way back to the sink and my bottles. It felt really good to get in the water.

lcs4.jpg

lcs5.jpg

I geared up, dropped below the water and headed downstream. I easily found the line tied off on a branch just inside the overhang. This is a huge cave and it can be a bit deceiving, as the beginning of the line appears to still be in open water. I clipped off my 100% bottle and continued along the line swimming under a duck under (can’t see the floor from here because it’s so far down) and slowly ascended along the line to about 80’. I clipped off my 50% bottle and took the short jump to the line that goes straight down to about 120’. I switched over to my side mount bottles at this point and continued down the line. At about 180’ the line Ts with one side continuing down the slope and the other line heading slightly up and to the left. I went to straight. Shortly after the T, another line comes in from the left and up and follows the same path as the line I was on, only about 18” above it, until they both wrap around an outcropping from the wall. At this point I was about 210’ deep and the lines T’d off again. I decided I had gone far enough and turned the dive at this point. I also made a note to myself to come back here and explore the other lines I saw to see if they are even necessary or if they could be rerouted. Having 2 lines adjacent to each other isn’t the best idea in a shallow cave, let alone at that depth. Back at 120’, I switched back to my stage bottle and made a slow ascent up the line. I grabbed my 50% bottle, switching to it after going under the duck under and reaching 70’. I finished off my dive doing 20 minutes of deco in the basin and watching a little kid swimming on the surface. Total dive time was 32 minutes with 33 minutes of decompression. After packing up my gear and paying my site access fee I headed over to another sink in Wakulla County to check out conditions for a possible dive the next day. It had started raining a little, but I was okay with that since I had already done my dive. The next sink was murky, but looked like it would be fine for a dive the next day.

wcs1.jpg

wcs2.jpg

wcs3.jpg

Tuesday had me up at 4am again to head over to Wakulla County once again. I arrived at the second sink and was dismayed to find the rain the previous day had a negative effect on conditions. Today it was pea soup. Even though I have heard that conditions on the surface don’t necessarily dictate what conditions 15’ below are like, I wasn’t feeling the dive. I called Mat/Suprbugman to ask him directions to another sink in Wakulla County. I headed over to this sink…through a small dirt road cut out of the woods. My van has several new scratches on it. I found the sink with Mat’s excellent directions and headed down the steps placed there by the Wakulla County Dive Club several months earlier to check out conditions. (I forgot my camera the next 2 days and these were taken with my cell phone.)

wcs01.jpg

wcs02.jpg

The water was tannic but looked much better than the previous sink.

wcs03.jpg

After checking the area for gators, I unloaded my cylinders and placed them at the bottom of the steps. This system is supposedly a little shallower than the system I was in yesterday, so I was diving Nitrox in my side mount bottles and Trimix in my stage bottle this time. I suited up and got in the water, geared up, tied the end of my primary to the bottom step, and slowly made my way down the side of the wall. Mat’s excellent directions to the line helped me find it rather quickly tied off to a branch exactly where he said it would be. I tied off my primary to the line and followed it down to a T at about 120’. One line went down and the other went straight out at about an even depth. I switched to my stage full of trimix and headed down until I reached the end of the line and the bottom of the cave at 139’. At this point there were several lines going off the line I had followed. I followed the first 2 only to find they ended about 10’ away from where they started. Visibility in this cave was a tannic 10’. I took the last two lines going off this tie off (they were parallel to each other) and found another cluster of lines. I checked out a couple of them to find the same situation as earlier. I then took the last line and swam about 70’ or so to find my first marker at the first T! I had just completed a circuit…in a room!!! I turned around to retrieve my markers and make my way out of the cave. I reached the first T, switched back to my side mount bottles and continued up to my reel. At this point, I had only been on the dive for about 23 minutes, so I grabbed my primary and did a circuit of the walls of the cave just below the ceiling. I didn’t see any possible leads and headed back to grab my deco bottle and head back up to the steps. One thing I can say about this cave is reg switches weren’t my favorite thing to do. The tannic water did not taste very good! But apparently, the locals don't care because they swim here.

wcs04.jpg

Wednesday started a little late. The 4am wake ups were a bit much for me. Wednesday afternoon I headed over to another sink, this one in Bay County, to check out a cave I had heard about from Mat. I drove off the paved road onto a dirt road and after about 25 minutes of several turns I arrived at the sink. I was pretty sure it was going to be difficult to find my way out of here and back onto the pavement! There were swimmers at the sink already so I was pretty confident there weren’t any gators around. Yeah, this is a big concern at some of these springs! I checked out the sink hole and the water was slightly green, but looked okay to dive.

bcs1.jpg

Mat had also told me that visibility clears up to about 30-40’ below 15’. I hauled my tanks over to the edge of the sink, suited up, and got in the water. After gearing up, I tied off my primary reel to a tree root in the water and made my way along the bottom of the sink,. At about 12’ I felt 69 degree water and saw several tree trunks that had fallen into the sink. I followed the wall along until I found the entrance to the cave. I placed a secondary tie-off and headed for the hole. This isn’t the smallest entrance I’ve been in, but it did require a bottle off maneuver. I tried to wiggle my way in, but had to back out to adjust my bungeed reg (it was free flowing from the raging flow) and to purge all the air from my wing to I could fit in the entrance! I wiggled my way in, fighting the flow and the top of the entrance. I finally got in far enough to anchor myself against the wall with my feet only to find the beginning of the line flapping in the flow freely. Later I found out Mat had somehow knocked it off during his last dive there but wasn’t about to go back in against the flow to fix it. No problem. This cave isn’t frequented very much anyway. I fixed the tie-off and tied off my primary to the line. I pulled myself against the flow and came to the end of the line about 100’ in. Mat had told me about this line break. I pulled my jump spool out and tied it off to the broken end. I then attempted to swim past the duck under. No such luck. I tried again and just kept getting blown back by the flow. I got negative and grabbed the sand on the floor and clawed my way past it. Fortunately, the bottom composition of this cave is all large, gritty sand and doing this in no way affects the aesthetic value of the cave. I couldn’t see any signs of my clawing on my way out. I found the other end of the line and spent about 10 minutes fighting the flow while tying my line to the broken end. I cut my line and left the break repaired. I continued pulling my way along the cave to find the line ended again. I looked around and found another line on the opposite wall! I pulled out another jump spool and crossed the passage. I continued along the passage until I came to a T. At this point, I was pretty close to my turn pressure and felt the first signs of a CO2 headache from all the work against the flow coming on. I turned the dive and headed back to my jump spool. It took my about 5 minutes to gather up the spool since I had to keep swimming back to my tie-off point against the flow while spooling up my line. I finally got that done and let the flow carry me out to my primary. I grabbed the primary, unclipped my left bottle and shot out through the restriction. I didn’t have a deco obligation but decided to breathe off my O2 tank for about 5 minutes since I had worked so hard during this dive and had done deep dives the previous two days. As I came to the surface I heard voices and saw a new group of swimmers walking around the edge of the sink. The first question they asked was if I had found the bottom. They told me rumor has it the sink is bottomless because no one has ever found the bottom here. I told them the bottom is only about 40’ down. :

I packed up my gear, turned on my GPS and it told me I could get back to pavement much quicker through a different route. I started heading that way. Here’s one of the sites I saw one the way:

outhouse.jpg

After driving for about 10 minutes and watching my GPS reroute itself a few times I decided to turn around and try to find my way out the original way I came. During this last 10 minutes I had gone around a turn that was filled in with sand. Apparently, rain run off washes down along this area and someone had the brilliant idea of filling it in with sand instead of dirt! I had made it through okay coming into it. This wasn’t so much the case heading the other direction. My van got stuck!!! I tried digging the rear tires out to no avail. I even pulled all of my tanks out of the back to get about 500 lbs of steel and aluminum off the back. I called Jen and asked her to either borrow Edd’s truck (Cave Adventurers) or have him head over to get me out. He has a 4x4 Dodge with rather large tires that could easily pull the van out. While Edd and Jen were driving out to get me unstuck, I continued to dig the sand out from around the rear of the van. I had gotten in pretty deep and was center high. Fortunately, I keep my boat paddles in the van all the time and had something to dig with. My phone soon rang (thankfully I still had service out there) and I tried to give Edd and Jen directions to my location. They finally made it to me shortly after I was finished digging. Edd’s first question to me was whether I was cave diving or dry caving. I was that dirty! We hooked up the tow strap and after about 15 minutes of pulling and sand flying all over my van, I was unstuck! We quickly loaded up the tanks and tried to find our way out before it got too dark. We got lucky!

I’ll definitely be going back to this cave, but next time I’ll stay on the decent dirt roads and avoid the sand trap. I pity the next person to drive through that corner! It was a very good week of diving. I’m hoping to get back to this last cave this week and will definitely be going back to Monday’s cave in the middle of the month.

Great report Rob. We hope to hit a few of these sites next weekend. I know you hit the downstream section, but did the upstream section viz look descent from what you saw?? I saw my first albino crawfish in the downstream section a year ago. Of course it was in a much shallower section then 210 foot!! Good grief, I heard it got deep on that section, but didn't know it was that deep.

Sounds like some great dives.

Upstream looked crystal clear. However, it has rained every day since I was there... :(

Ben dove Thursday with 30-40' visibility and another group was supposed to hit it yesterday(Saturday), I'm hoping they will post a conditions report soon. Looking forward to getting back in that system! :D

Divers from Saturday are saying visibility ranged from 20-50', so still sounds plenty divable. I think this week won't be as wet either, so things should dry out a bit and hopefully improve further.

Made it back to the Washington County sink today. (Why Florida doesn't have welcome to ******* County like Arizona, I'll never know...) Surface water looked a little greener after the rain we've been having for the past several days, but I was pretty confident conditions would be similar to the other day once I hit 15'. Similar they were! It was a little murkier, but still had a good 20-30' of visibility. Jen and I made our way over to the entrance. After clipping our deco bottles onto the jump line we ran from just below the surface to a branch not too far from the entrance, I pulled out a primary and tied off to the same branch. It looked like the sand just outside the entrance was kicking up just a little bit more than last week. Could flow be up even more than last week? I pulled off a bottle and pushed it in front of me. I dumped the air from my wing and began wiggling into the cave. It was a little easier this time but only because I already knew to keep my head tucked down and just push myself through. Once inside I wrapped my line around a rock a few feet in from the entrance and then ran it up to where the existing line was. I turned around to wait for Jen, but she wasn't having any of that. I later found out because the entrance has what appears to be sharp rocks jutting out, she wasn't feeling it. I was already in and wasn't about to leave without doing what I came here to do. I continued running my line back through the passage, routing it along one side of the passage, pulling myself through the duck under, and continuing until I came to the T. At this point, I wrapped my line around the rock and tied it into the existing line. After making sure it was secure, I cut the existing line and started pulling it out on my way out. I pulled all the line out back to the duck under and followed my line back to the opening to the cave. I okayed Jen, who was waiting just outside the entrance for me and tucked the old line into my wrap. I then followed the old line from there back to where I had gapped it the other day and cut it at that point. I really didn't feel like heading through the duck under again. I already had a CO2 headache brewing and I was getting out of breath. I pulled the old line out back to the opening. This line I tucked into my pocket. I pulled the other line out of my wrap and let it go, watching it fly out the opening right to Jen. I cut my line at the first tie off inside the cave, tied the loose end off and pulled a bottle off to exit the cave. I then pulled my primary reel out. Jen grabbed the jump reel and reeled that back. Total dive time was 45 minutes. I didn't accumulate a deco obligation, but the headache was pretty bad this time so I did another 5 minutes on 100% at 20' to try to ease it off. Jen and I then ascended slowly to the surface. During my dive, Jen had decided to swim around the basin to see if she could see anything else. Besides the downed tree trunks in the sink, there was nothing else in there. Apparently, the other side of this system is covered by the trunks and even if anyone was stupid enough to dive into it with that flow, it would be nearly impossible. It was another great dive in a beautiful system. I'm looking forward to getting back in there and seeing what's beyond the T!

Sounds like an excellent week of diving.. Fantastic report and pics.

Headed back yesterday to see what's beyond the 1st T (yes, 1st...). I met Mark/SPD135 at Cave Adventurers Thursday when he pulled him after his drive from Louisiana. We talked for awhile and I knew Mark had already been there a couple times before. We decided if our schedules matched up we'd try to head over to Washington County the next day. I had to drop a bunch of tanks off for hydro so that gave Mark some time in the morning to get a dive in at JB. I got back from Dothan around 1pm and headed over to Cave Adventurers to top off my 95s and meet up with Mark. After filling my tanks and the usual goings on, Mark and I got on the road around 2:30. We headed south and I showed Mark a little short cut from Marianna down to the area we were going. Less than an hour later we had arrived at our destination.

We took a little walk around to scope out another possible sink in the area and thought if we didn't find one we might possibly make one! Every step we took had us sinking about 6 inches or so into the ground. At one point Mark picked up a branch and started poking the ground in front of him before taking a step forward. We didn't find or make a sink, but there's more searching to be done when we have more time. We brought our tanks to the water and quickly suited up. We got in the water to cool off but unfortunately the top layer of the water is in the 80s right now and getting in the water didn't make much of a difference. We clipped on our tanks while discussing our gear configurations and the dive plan. Mark and I have known each other for some time but this was our first time diving together. Mark made the decision that I was leading in (I found out why later). I reeled down to the entrance, unclipped a bottle, and made my way into the small restriction. It felt easier to get in this time. Either I'm figuring out the best way to position my body or I've been making it bigger. I moved out up to a location where I could hold on and wait for Mark to make his entrance. Once in we continued on along the line I had place during my last dive here. It was so nice to finally dive this cave without having to mess with the lines. I counted knots back to the 1st T to finally get an accurate distance, fighting the flow along the way with Mark close behind. I scoped out things at the T and decided to take the left line. We continued on through the passage, getting to a low bedding plane in which we not only had to wiggle through trying to find the tallest area to get through, but also fight against increased flow in this smaller space. Shortly after we came up to the 2nd T. We looked around a little and I again headed along the left line to check things out. The line went into another bedding plane, which looked smaller than the last one we had taken. Mark turned the dive at this point on air. I was about to turn it on not wanting to blindly negotiate 2 small bedding planes I had never been through before. We headed back and, as suspected, the bedding plane we had been through was blown out. As high as the flow is in there, one would expect it to clear out pretty quickly, but there is also some mud and clay in that area that remained suspended in the water. I watched Mark enter the bedding plane and saw him start finning. The first thing I thought was, "why is he finning with the flow so high here?!?" Well, when his fins disappeared and it was my turn I found out. I had forgotten we had to wiggle through to get where we were and the flow only made the exit that more difficult. It pushed us into the catches coming off the ceiling and we had to wiggle and fin to make any progress. We finally came out of the bedding plane into the larger room on the other side and visibility. We continued our exit, pulling the rest of the old line I hadn't been able to get Monday and eventually arrived at the opening. Mark hadn't been here in a while and before he knew it he was at the opening. While pinned to the wall and corking the opening, he desperately tried to unclip his bottle while fighting the flow. He finally got it done after about 30 seconds and then after a quick look around, asked me where the exit was. The opening is so small, the left side of his body was up against it covering it! All the while I'm thinking, if something happens to Mark, it's gonna be really difficult to pull his body away from the opening against this flow so I can get out!!! Mark made his way out and I followed. We took some time to swim around the basin to look for the downstream side. After a few minutes we found it but it's only large enough to fit a head in. Besides, the flow going into it is pretty torrential. Not something I want to swim out against.

Another great dive at this little cave and a great first dive with Mark!

Great dive for sure Rob. Can't wait to get back and explore some more with you and / or Mat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom