Fort Pickens -- dive site info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RaginCajun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey folks,

Can you give me some pointers on diving Fort Pickens? I've never been there, but from what I can tell from Google Earth there's a small jetty on the very north west corner of the fort and a boat dock about 300 yards east.

How do you usually dive this site? Which side of the jetty to you start on, how far does it go etc. Do you dive the jetty only or any other parts?

I am gratetful for any advice or pointers you might be able to give. I plan to be in the area around Aug 14-22 and would like to check this site out.

Thanks!

Dive the jetty itself, there's a map online that shows the steps used to get over the fort wall, we basically walk directly to the water and start heading in... you'll find rocks 15' down or so. At that point on the beach, the jetties are not visible from the surface(there are jetties visible on the surface further west, but usually have some fisherman attached).

Here is the map of the jetties that Mat is reffering to

click on the pic/image/thumbnail below and it should open in a new window with a VERY LARGE size image for printing... or I also have it in 800x600 resolution below for viewing in this thread.

<------ Click this image to view large copy of map.

FtPickensMap.jpg
[/QUOTE]

The map is pretty accurate in the shallower sections of the map, but the stuff further out has been taken away by hurricanes. There is also some new stuff that isn't on the map. This is why I am planning on getting an accurate map together soon. If you work your way to the rock area there is so much to see you will have a blast. If you want to get in two dives get in the water two hours prior to high tide. If you are doing one dive I would get in about an hour prior to high tide. The currents can really rip through the pass, so make sure to only dive around high tide (best time) and low tide (not-so-good time). I live here in P-cola and if I can make it out on a day you are going out there I wouldn't mind showing you around.

How old is it? *shrugs* Its definately older than 6 years old, probably 10+ though I'd guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom