Red Sea: Marsa Shagra Vs. Wadi Lahami

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stestreet

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,
I am new to this forum and haven't had tiome to fill all my profile yet; something I'll do in the coming days.
My wife and I are planning a diving week in mid-Septembr to southern egypt red sea.
We like a lot the concept of eco-diving offered in Marsa Shagra and Wadi Lahami, but have an hard time to decide between the two..
Firs of all: which one offers the best diving? Marsa Shagra offer the possibility of diving the cost around and Elphistone.. Wadi Lahami is right in front of the Fury Shoals..
also, is the sea often rough? as all transfers to Fury shoals are by speed boat and last between 30 and 50 minutes, we wouldn't really appreciate being seasick for an entire week of vacation..
any tips, idea, suggestion?
thank you all
Stefano

Stefano, I have just returned from Shagra and I really enjoyed their set-up with unlimited house reef dives, 2 included truck or speed boat dives and excursions. In addition 2 daily trips to Elphinstone ( at 06;00 and 09:00).

I have not been to Fury Shoals. but I have read about them,, so I can understand that it is difficult to choose. The sea was not rought enough to cancel any elphinstone dive while I was there, the low tide can however cause cancelation of some of the truck/shore dives..

anyway: the food at Shagra was really good (OKK the breakfast is the same as all egyptian big resorts), but the lunch and dinner was really good! ( I have been a chef for 8 eight years and I am very picky)

br
Martin

Hi Martin,
we finally chosed Marsa Shagra and we'll be there next saturday.. so your message really comes at a great time.
Good to know about the 2 daily dives to Elphistone, that rassures me we won't miss it, even if wewill board, as planned, on the St.John's mini-safari!!!!
And even better about the food; I don't have great expectations, so it might surprise me..

As you just came back from there, how was the water temperature? did you use a 3 or 5mm wetsuite? I have a 22mm wetsuite that I use in the indo-pacific ususally, but there the water is always 28'C.. I'm afraid that will be too light..

Thanks again,
Stefano

I used a 2,5mm full suit, no problem, 28-30 degrees in the water, most people dive in shorts and a lycra....

thank you all!! just came back!! I used my 22.. ehm.. I mean 2mm wetsuit and was fine...
we had a great diving week, even if sharks, dolphins and dugong were too shy to show up.. oh well..
thank you eversyone for your replies and inputs!!
Stefano

Back
Top Bottom