Digital back for Nikon F4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darian Dunn

Reaction score
I have a Nikon F4 cammera. I was told a few years ago that someone made a digital back for it. I believe they stated that it had the capability of 14 million pixels. (Yes, 14 million, not 1.4.)

Who makes it?
Where can I get it?
How much?

frogfish once bubbled...
What is a digital back ?
Replacement back for a SLR camera that includes a CCD to convert it from a film camera into a digital camera.

Hello,

I am aware of a bulk film back and databacks but no digital backs.

Ed

If they are talking about ANYONE having 14 MP capability "a few years ago" I'd suggest someone is/was pulling your leg. That capacity only became available in the past few months, and only on a single camera (surprisingly, a Kodak branded camera).

There was an invention called DIGITAL FILM which was supposed to be like a film can with a firm "leader" coming out of it, that could pop into some cameras, but it had battery problems and has never made it to market.

I have a couple of F4's and would love a digital back... but have never heard of one that had near that capacity.

The camera that they were using was Government Issue not for public use probably classified at the time. He had very limit computer/electronic technical abilities and didn’t understand how it all works. I highly doubt that he was pulling my leg.

It could be I am remembering the wrong number of pixels.

Is there a digital back with less pixels available?

Darian Dunn once bubbled...
The camera that they were using was Government Issue not for public use probably classified at the time. He had very limit computer/electronic technical abilities and didn’t understand how it all works. I highly doubt that he was pulling my leg.

It could be I am remembering the wrong number of pixels.

Is there a digital back with less pixels available?

Don't forget that whatever back is substituted for a 35 mm film carrier, it must accommodate the large image formed by the camera optics on the film plane. If it's a digital back, this means either the CCD chip is large (about 36x24 mm) and hence expensive, or there are supplementary optics reducing the image on to a smaller chip size and a consequently thick digital back which may preclude its fitting into an F4 underwater housing.

Hello,

Are you sure it was a nikon F4?

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom