Diving in Britanny, France?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lockjaw

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone

I'm (so far) an occasional diver, have PADI AOW but generally only manage to grab the odd dive on family hols etc. But plan some 'proper' diving once the family is older!

For now, I am soon holidaying in Britanny France. Is there any decent diving there? Anyone have any useful pointers?

Any advice appreciated.

Simon

Hi.
I'm actually living in Normandy, but I've been living in western Brittany during about 25 years, I still dive there.
Brittany is about 250 km on 150, so it could be easyer if you'd tell me where you are going to stay.

There are many good places to dive, the vis is ussually better on the west side but it's also much colder. The west part of Brittany is very similar to Cornwall.
You will have to choose the PADI dive centers, avoid the exclusive french fede clubs(a kind of local BSAC).
In France, the law says that you must have a medical certification saying that you're fit to dive, you can do it in england before to come or in France ( just take an appointment at the GP's).

I'm not far from St Malo where there is a PADI dive center, I use to dive there some time to time.

Welcome in Brittany !
Bienvenue en Bretagne !
Deguemer mad e vro Breizh !( this is the local language : absolutely unuseful...:D)

Hey
I too am planning to dive in france early september of this year. Where about is the best place to do this? Also on the Medical certificate front - is that entirely necessary even if you have done your certification and dived within the last couple of months? It might be a bit of a problem to get it done in time before I go. Would it be worth driving into Spain to avoid this. And do you know of any good sites there?

Thanks James

Yes, if you want to avoid the medical certificate, you'd better dive in Spain.
Except if you've got your own gears and dive on your own ( if you rent the gears, it's the same), in that case you are absolutely free to do what you want here.
If you go with a dive op, he won't be allowed to let you dive if you have no medical certificate.

Hi.
Brittany is about 250 km on 150, so it could be easyer if you'd tell me where you are going to stay.
Thanks, Air One. I am going to Pont Aven on the south coast, midway between Quimper and Lorient. Are there any good PADI centres/dives near there?

Simon

I am going to be on iles d'oessant in Brittany during the last two weeks of August. does anyone know if there is any good diving there?
Nikhil

I am going to be on iles d'oessant in Brittany during the last two weeks of August. does anyone know if there is any good diving there?
Yes, very very good diving. I'll be there during 3 days for the small tides between the26 and 29 of August..
The vis is usually much better than anywhere in Brittany, there are also many wrecks, that's why we go with them for quite deep diving.

There is a dive center on the island itself : club de plongée Ouessant Subaqua
If you don't speak french I could give them a call for you ? ( I don't know them)
You've got a cmas card, so no problem but don't forget the medical certificate.

@ Lockjaw : no PADI dive center near Pont Aven, the nearest dive op for you is "Kerguelen" at "Larmor Plages" near Lorient : Sellor-Nautisme - Plongez au Pays de Lorient !

You can send them a mail at plongee@sellor.com
Sellor has 2 dive centers, one in Lorient, the other one at Larmor Plage.
It takes about 40 mn to go there by car from Pont Aven.

There are also few diving clubs around ( Concarneau, Moëllan sur mer,Quimperlé, 2 or 3 in Quimper, Beg Meil etc...) but they are all FFESSM and have no PADI certification, as I said, It could be a problem for you.

Air One, thank you very much! I will take you up on that offer. i will PM you. Excellent, I am looking forward to this!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom