Defog formula

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dilute. It can actually be quite dilute, as long as the water still feels soapy when you rub your fingers together.

I am on the other end of the scale, full strength. A drop does a lens. I like to let it dry then rinse....no rubbing, just slosh it around in the water.

What's wrong with saliva? It's the best, always available in more than enough quantities (as long as you are well hydrated).

Not scientific, but 2/3 cheapo no tears baby shampoo, 1/3 water...

Spritz on each lens, rinse, and you're done!

Works as good as, if not better than the commercial chemical burn agent you pay $6.95 at the dive shop!

I see no reason to dilute, and use it pretty much as Herman suggests. I decant from the large Walmart bottle into a small squeeze bottle applicator. According to my calculations, at ~200 dives per year, a 15 oz Walmart bottle should last me about 4.2135 years. Of course, this depends upon whether I use an applicator which is "overbalanced".

I am on the other end of the scale, full strength. A drop does a lens. I like to let it dry then rinse....no rubbing, just slosh it around in the water.

I do the same. I think the key is to let it dry as much as possible before you use it. I always treat my mask when I store it, then a quick rinse before I dive, and it's good to go. I can almost always get 2 dives with no fog using this method.

I find that saliva doesn't work well for me at all.

I think the main "secret" is to brush the inside side of the glass with a toothbrush and toothpaste (white, not gel), until you really get tired. And then, brush more. At least 30 to 60 minutes for a new mask. Then rinse well (eventually soak it in water for 10-15 minutes, so all the toothpaste will disolve). If you brushed enough, if you put the mask (still wet from the rinsing) on your face and exhale on your nose, it should not get fogged. If it fogs, return to brushing. If you reach the status when the wet glass is not fogging, from that moment saliva will be enough.

If the mask gets greased on the inside, repeat the process. I think once at 3-4 years is enoug (at least for me).

Back
Top Bottom