padi/naui??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peejymvl

Registered
Reaction score
ok, I am like the really really really new guy, so please dont blast me with laughter for asking , but should I be considering naui instead of padi, cause I have been studying with padi for the last week and go for ow this weekend, dont have a clue when it comes to naui, as padi is all I have ever known.

Justincase....I was reading the discussion about the two and it seemed like most are favorable to naui, which makes me a little uneasy, as I am taking this course very serious.

While NAUI does have better standards, in my opinion, than PADI, you can get an excellent class from a PADI instructor. (BTW, in my opinion, NAUI's standards are not what they should be) The key to getting a good class is to interview instructors you are considering hiring. It is too late when the class is nearing completion. A good course will be spread out over several weeks. If you've been studying for the last week and are about ready for your checkout dives, my guess is you probably didn't get a good one.

welll, since you are serious about this course....talk to the instructor you are going to be doing the classes with. IF they are telling you it is only going to be a weekend, walk out of the shop. You just cannot learn everything you need to in two days. Even if you have some money invested in the time you have spent studying, save the rest of your cash and put it towrds a quality instructor. You will be much happier in the long run.

Like walter said, interview your instructor...ask them questions like what kind of neutral buoyancy skills are we going to be working on, what kind of finning techniques are we going to learn, how many hours are we going to spend in the pool before we go to the open water sessions. How many students do you cvertify...can I talk to any of your past students, etc. etc.

IF the answer to these is something like

1 - not many,
2 - flutter and dolphin,
3 - one pool session
4 - oh I certify 500 divers a year
5 - I don't remember their names and addresses

then you need to get a new instructor...and most likely from a diffferent shop. You might want to PM O-ring (aka eric)...he is in the virginia area, and probably know more about the local diving and shops there than I do.

I did PADI OW on holiday over 5 days and these kind of courses tend to come in for a bit of stick. Personally I found it really good but like any course, in any subject, I think it's your attitude towards learning and the teacher that make it. If the teacher is good and your keen to learn, do the extra research, etc it'll be a more valuable experience.

I'd imagine most beginner courses will give you the ground work. It depends how your going to develop your skills moving forwards. I've done my diving on holiday over the last year/18 Months in fairly good viz/conditions. I'm now looking at tackling the harsher climite of the UK and hoping to join a club to get some regular practice and training going.

From the research I've done on the club network in the UK, I've still got lots of choices on how I want to take my training/experience level forwards. My advice would be to do your reading so you know what to expect at the weekend (sure you've done this already). Try and learn all you can while you there and just enjoy it.

Hope this helps.

As stated here it is really the instructer and how he structures his course. The only other thing I can tell you is that after reading NAUI'S nitrox manual it is very well written and I am speculating much better than a padi or ssi manual.

I did my OW with NAUI at a highly respected shop (they trains military divers, so these guys don't fool around or make it easy). I had a mediocre class and pool experience, and open water dives from hell. I did my AOW with a PADI instructor and had the best possible learning and diving experience I could have ever hoped for. I had 30 dives before I did AOW, but, I learned more in 4 days with that instructor then in my OW course. I really think that it all depends on the instructor and the shop. NAUI may have higher standards, but that doesn't mean that all NAUI shops do. Unfortunately, PADI is also just more accessible. If you want to do any specialties while on a dive trip, it's hard to find a NAUI shop, or at least that's been my experience. I wanted to stay with NAUI, now after doing my AOW, I'm torn.

double125's once bubbled...
As stated here it is really the instructer and how he structures his course. The only other thing I can tell you is that after reading NAUI'S nitrox manual it is very well written and I am speculating much better than a padi or ssi manual.

I'll agree that the instructor is the most important part of class and learning, but why do you speculate that the NAUI Nitrox manual is better than PADI or SSI? Have you read either of theirs? What about IANTD or SDI? I have read NAUI, SSI, and PADI manuals and taken IANTD. Take a wild guess which I think is best? It doesn't matter. The instructor is the one that makes the course and yes I do instruct and feel that I do a very competent job.

Scubawife
I learned more in 4 days with that instructor then in my OW course....now after doing my AOW, I'm torn.

Go with who you learn from. I'm one of those nuts that don't believe there are all the much difference in the standards from one agency to the other. (there are exceptions of course) I've seen all the minimum standards and some of them would surprise you. I know they did me.

I have read several manuals from SSI and padi: Basic course, Night, Deep and equipment and thought they were a waste of money. I have not read their nitrox manual so I cannot comment on it specifically but if it is written like there other manuals it would be useless also. This is just my personal experience and from everything I read the NAUI nitrox manual is written really well. I have not read any of their other manuals so I cannot say their whole library is useful. That does not change the fact that the NAUI Nitrox manual is first class.

The course needs to be taught by a good instructor and if you cant find one then you have two options. BUy the book and teach yourself and not get a specealty card or you can buy the book, teach yourself then pay the instructer a large sum of money to sell you the card you earned yourself. Either way if a good instructer is not available you are relying on the book to teach you.

just a little thing that happened to me:

i walked to a dive store in europe and asked for nitrox fill
the guy asks me to show my nitrox card
so i take out my NAUI nitrox diver card

i get "what's that?" reaction?

i still got my fill though without argument, just had to explain the acronym :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom