Diving in the new Millennium ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

8dust

Contributor
Reaction score
So… I’m new here. My third thread… Trying to get my diving head back in place…
Dove A LOT in mid 80’s and early 90’s, then took some time (15 years) off to get married and raise a Son.

As Son is getting older, was/am really looking forward to introducing him to ME, the early years, and doing a bunch of cool stuff most other kids don’t ever get a chance to experience.

So…

When I hung up my fins, diving was kinda a hippie-pirate, good enough equipment so you’d survive, but laid back, boat with holes, cool outsider thing. Again, second half of the 80’s mostly.

Now I’m looking around, picking up some mags., stopping in the LDS, cruising around the internet, trying to reacquaint myself,… and I just don’t know what to think…

Looks to me as though the world has changed… with all the decompression computers, bubble monitors, custom blended mix gasses, neon gear, tec this & that, $185.00 fins, metrosexual yuppie eco – tourist, who-ha… I just wonder if there is a place for me in this sport any more.

I feel as out of place as Travolta in the white 3-piece at a Rave party!

When I last noticed, you wore weight BELTS, dive gear was black, and your “dive computer” was a plastic card and a watch.

I bought a metallic grey tank as my first and a ¼” farmer john with a yellow stripe down 1 leg, and was told in no uncertain terms, that I looked like a Pimp!

I even saw somebody on here talking about when they felt like diving “vintage” they would go with this setup or that… VINTAGE??? He wasn’t talking about furnishing his loft space!!!

So… my question is, I suppose, is there room in the 21st century, for a 20th century diver? or am I kicking too hard against the current, should leave the US Diver’s Rockets hanging up, and just concentrate on teaching my Son to sail ?

8dust :coffee:

Embrace the new!! (If you want to)

While I am VERY new to diving (13 dives logged), I am pretty sure you can still dive using skills learned before. Just need to find a buddy who will be comfortable enough.

If jumping in a water with plain air in a tank, dressed all black, and without a dive computer, I don't see anything that can stop you...

haha 15 years may not seem like a long time, but look at just about anything, for technology 15 years is a ton of time. Look in a catalog from 15 years ago, look at electronics, computers, 15 years ago most people didn't have an e-mail address :)

You'll fin that many advancements aren't even particularly well liked (Air-2 inflator for example), others are popular but by no means necessary for recreational diving (such as a dive computer: while I love it, a chart and watch will work) You can still find dive gear in black and while it may be hard to find a BCD as simple as one 15 years ago, there are a ton of options. Many people on here still prefer classic jet fins.

But also don't be afraid to embrace technology when it truly makes things better. Don't get too hung up on "the good old days" just for the sake of it. After trying a computer, you may see why it's nearly standard gear nowadays.

I don't think the think the fact that there are a lot more choices in equipment and advancements is a very good reason not to dive, especially when gear not that different from what you used is still widely available and not considered a safety hazard.

Kind of WAY off topic, but what's wrong with Air2? Not trying to start a debate, just a quick answer would be good for my own general knowledge. LDS I am with has all BCs with Air2 in them.

Kind of WAY off topic, but what's wrong with Air2? Not trying to start a debate, just a quick answer would be good for my own general knowledge. LDS I am with has all BCs with Air2 in them.

canofworms.jpg

My feeling is that combo octo/inflators are like those little donut spare tires:

They seem like a really great idea, right up until the point you need to actually use one for its intended purpose.

:eyebrow:

When I got back into diving a little while ago, I was in the same boat as you, bro. My wife wanted to start diving, so I went over the tables with her. She then started her open water class and had more questions for me every day when she got home from class. I've never used a dive computer before, but when she told me what they were taught in class about them, I had to try one. After renting one to try it out, I had to buy one. When you're doing multi-level dives, you gain a TON of dive time. All the new, high-tech gear, like balanced regs and such, is great. Give the new stuff a try, you'll be glad you did.

actually, there is nothing wrong with being the dirty old hippie with all the vintage gear. That stuff still works so either dive with the old or get with the new but whatever you do-DIVE.

When I started diving regularly, about four years ago at age 66, I was sort of in the same boat, so to speak, as you. Dove some in the early 70's using minimal gear. In other words, tank on a shoulder rig, one regulator and spg, fins, belt and a mask. One guy had a watch and knew when we needed to come up. After getting my OW cert, at first, I felt a little out of place when I started going around southern Florida and the Keys to different dive shops because I was the oldest guy on the boat, using nice, shiny, chrome and brass, rebuilt Dacor regs, some old fins and a wetsuit that didn't fit which I got from my cousin's widow. But after a short time, looking at the menagerie around me, I felt right at home. Most of the divers I came across weren't that much different than me except for their age. By the way, I'd be diving with a HOG rig and no BC if the dive operator would let me.

So… I’m new here. My third thread… Trying to get my diving head back in place…
Dove A LOT in mid 80’s and early 90’s, then took some time (15 years) off to get married and raise a Son.

As Son is getting older, was/am really looking forward to introducing him to ME, the early years, and doing a bunch of cool stuff most other kids don’t ever get a chance to experience.

So…

When I hung up my fins, diving was kinda a hippie-pirate, good enough equipment so you’d survive, but laid back, boat with holes, cool outsider thing. Again, second half of the 80’s mostly.

Now I’m looking around, picking up some mags., stopping in the LDS, cruising around the internet, trying to reacquaint myself,… and I just don’t know what to think…

Looks to me as though the world has changed… with all the decompression computers, bubble monitors, custom blended mix gasses, neon gear, tec this & that, $185.00 fins, metrosexual yuppie eco – tourist, who-ha… I just wonder if there is a place for me in this sport any more.

I feel as out of place as Travolta in the white 3-piece at a Rave party!

When I last noticed, you wore weight BELTS, dive gear was black, and your “dive computer” was a plastic card and a watch.

I bought a metallic grey tank as my first and a ¼” farmer john with a yellow stripe down 1 leg, and was told in no uncertain terms, that I looked like a Pimp!

I even saw somebody on here talking about when they felt like diving “vintage” they would go with this setup or that… VINTAGE??? He wasn’t talking about furnishing his loft space!!!

So… my question is, I suppose, is there room in the 21st century, for a 20th century diver? or am I kicking too hard against the current, should leave the US Diver’s Rockets hanging up, and just concentrate on teaching my Son to sail ?

8dust :coffee:

Maybe a little more vintage than the 80's. We in the vintage community would be glad to have you.

Vintage Equipment Diving - ScubaBoard

http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/forum/index.php

To corrupt a line from David L. Roth… Funny, I don’t feel Vintage….

I guess us 40 somethings are kinda in denial…

Trapped in between remembering our 20’s well enough to really miss them,
And that dark place ahead, where stuff really starts to not work and fall off of us….

I guess my opening question was primarily a philosophical one…

Thanks to all, partic. “Captain,” -that vintage double hose site was VERY cool.

Do you dive with them? In their photos was a similar looking fellow wearing a black horse collar like your photo here… Saw a bunch of my gear in those photos…

I’m post double hose, but not by much. Those were the great images that pulled me in when I was in my teens.
I’m in the process now of trying to see what in my bag works, and what does not. Is there an effective way to condition 30 year old black rubber? My mask skirt looks like it has some issues.

Back
Top Bottom