Sources of information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanshin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Do you know of any page that contains a large source of diving information?

The ideal would be a comprehensive diving wiki or a web book.

Forums are usually my main source of information but reading hundreds of consecutive threads without a strong base (and thus, a preestablished structure) is mixing the information in my head.

I am not sure you will find a web page that contains lots of useful and accurate information. You will find lots of stuff on the internet but as there is no editorial control people can say whatever they want, even if it's wrong and/or dangerous.

"Deeper into Diving" by Lippmann and Smith, this is a very good book which will give you a good and accurate grounding in the physiology of diving, gas selection and decompression theory/illness.

In the same kind of vein is the US Navy Diving Manual. A lot of it is not relevant to recreational diving, but it is very detailed, easy to read, has a great chapter on the history of diving and you can find it in PDF format, legitimately, for FREE from some websites.

Have a good one,

Rupert

Last edited:
For some reason (early morning no coffee?) I didn't think about searching "diving manual".

I've found multiple downloadable books and manuals (including the usn:dm) in different universities, and they seem exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks.

another fun one is the: "PADI adventures in diving manual" it touches on many diving interests, and of course the US Navy manual(s).

always take what you read on the net with a grain of salt - Nothing beats the many reputable training facilities, their manuals, and instructors all of which are dedicated to keeping you alive and well. You will find their training links on this site-

Hope this is helpful...:popcorn:

always take what you read on the net with a grain of salt - Nothing beats the many reputable training facilities, their manuals, and instructors all of which are dedicated to keeping you alive and well. You will find their training links on this site-

Depending on where you dive, you can take a lot of what you read in agency training manuals with a grain of salt too ... almost all the agencies cater to the tropical vacation diver. Unless you happen to be someone who fits that category, much of what you read in these manuals will get you started safely ... but as your skills improve you'll decide that's really not the way you want to dive.

The best way to improve your diving knowledge is to find a good mentor and go dive a lot ... there's a big difference between reading something and developing a real-life understanding of what it means.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Someone should tell Doc V that dark blue letters against a charcoal gray background is really hard to read ... trying to make out those link titles makes my eyes hurt ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Also have a browse on Bittorrent etc..... many PADI videos etc that you can download.

Youtube is also a good rescource, with lots of skills demos etc that you can watch.

....not that I am advocating the illegal distribution of copyrighted materials... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom