Pelagic\Large Animals in Dahab\Sharm area- Best chance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iain-le-roi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi

I have just booked a 10 day trip to Dahab mid September and intend to squeeze plenty of diving in between relaxing and more relaxing. I know this is asked a lot and apologies if this is a repeat but I used the search and couldnt find anything definitive.

What sites should I visit to give me the best chance of seeing large Animals such as sharks, Eagle Rays Manta's? I realise that I'd be very lucky to see anything like that but if there is any chance then I'd like to maximise it by visiting the most likely spots.

Thanks
Iain

An eagle ray was spotted yesterday in Dahab, I dont know which site yet.
My plan in a couple of weeks will be to dive Abu Talha and Helal, these two sites are not often visited by other divers.

For Abu Talha I would set a bearing north-east out from the reef and sit down at the sandy bottom at around 25-30 meters using 32Nitrox and just sit and wait. Either something big will pass or not... its a chance to take...

Same strategy can be used at the caves or umm sid.

Another strategy could be to do bells north, dive down the bells and instead of heading south towards the blue hole swin north along the wall at around 30 meters and look into the blue. Turn when you reach 100 bar and ascend along the outside of the bells, there is an easy exit point just outside the "cave entry" on the surface

just some ideas...

of course Ras abu galum and gabr el bint is also good candidates, or even deep (40 meters) south end of lighthouse... (be creative!)

Thanks a lot for all your responses.... I'll try some of those tips. I had a read throught the web site and may also travel to Sharm to do some Diving. I liked the sound of Shark reef, Jackson Reef, and Gordon Reef. Can these be done as day boat dives or are they too far and only accessible as LAB?

Would people reccomend these dive sights as giving the best chance of sharks etc?

Thanks again for the info Asser... Would it be possible to organise 2/3 days diving in Dahab with your organisation and then a trip to the sites around shark reef and Jackson reef. I am staying at Le Meridien just outside Dahab and I am there from 14th to 24th September. I am Adv O/W with over 60 logged dives and my girlfriend is O/W with around 18 dives.

Thanks a lot for all your responses.... I'll try some of those tips. I had a read throught the web site and may also travel to Sharm to do some Diving. I liked the sound of Shark reef, Jackson Reef, and Gordon Reef. Can these be done as day boat dives or are they too far and only accessible as LAB?

Would people reccomend these dive sights as giving the best chance of sharks etc?

If you are opting for Dahab, you'll find that dive sites like Gabr El Bint are at least as good as Tiran's and in some aspects better: less crowded, more relaxed.

Last week we saw there two Turtles, a medium sized Eagle Ray and also a small group of six Cobias (a rather big fish which resembles a shark from a distance). Millions of Damsel fish, clear water and a nice gorgonians forest make this a superb site even without large creatures. It is also a great place for snorkeling between dives. I wish I could spend a whole week there :)

Another nice option would be a day camel/dive trip to Ras Abu Galum which is a really nice dive site and the camel ride with scuba gear is also a nice experience. Again, a dive site not frequently visited and with really nice topography.

And since you're speaking of relaxing, then perhaps a day to Nabeq area?

Thanks again for the info Asser... Would it be possible to organise 2/3 days diving in Dahab with your organisation and then a trip to the sites around shark reef and Jackson reef. I am staying at Le Meridien just outside Dahab and I am there from 14th to 24th September. I am Adv O/W with over 60 logged dives and my girlfriend is O/W with around 18 dives.
PM sent.

If you are opting for Dahab, you'll find that dive sites like Gabr El Bint are at least as good as Tiran's and in some aspects better: less crowded, more relaxed.

Last week we saw there two Turtles, a medium sized Eagle Ray and also a small group of six Cobias (a rather big fish which resembles a shark from a distance). Millions of Damsel fish, clear water and a nice gorgonians forest make this a superb site even without large creatures. It is also a great place for snorkeling between dives. I wish I could spend a whole week there :)

Another nice option would be a day camel/dive trip to Ras Abu Galum which is a really nice dive site and the camel ride with scuba gear is also a nice experience. Again, a dive site not frequently visited and with really nice topography.

And since you're speaking of relaxing, then perhaps a day to Nabeq area?
During our last trip in Dahab we did both Ras Abu Galoum and Gabr El Bint. We saw two eagle rays in Abu Galoum and a Napoleon in Gabr El Bint.

Speaking of Nabq, I really miss the area. Our last trip there was more than one year ago where we dove Ras Atantur and the Maria Schroder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom