Anchor Rock Reef-Destin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
Just a quick dive on Anchor Rock and true to it's name I salvaged two anchors and there are at least two more down there plus a finger spool. Viz was just so so and the sea condition was a bit rough, hurt my arm, cut myself, whatever.

Here is what it looked like.

Peak a boo, I see you:

IMG_1507_edited-1.jpg

The reef, notice all of the tiny little fish strung out like a veil over the reef:

IMG_1536_edited-1.jpg

A lot of cool inverts and shellfish:

IMG_1521_edited-1.jpg

Yeah, yeah, he cannot see me here, yeah, I am safer here:

IMG_1530_edited-1.jpg

Reef:

IMG_1517.jpg

More reef:

IMG_1511_edited-1.jpg

Cucumber in sand:

IMG_1528_edited-1.jpg

Nice relief for a Panhandle reef:

IMG_1506_edited-1.jpg

N

Very nice! That's a great site. What are the depths there? How far out?

Michael

Great pics, thanks for the report

This reef is actually one of several rocks and ledges near the Hayward. The reef that most dive is a little further east but I like this one because it has several undercuts and a good bit of relief though it is small in aerial extent.

I believe it is:

N30 18.512
W86 36.247

Depths around 80 to 85 I think.

Some fisherman hooked my anchor line, I was getting their hooks off, to be helpful, and they thought they had a bite and were trying to set the hook in my hand! There are several anchors and rope down there. You know, if there are any scuba clubs in the area, or whoever, y'all should have a reef cleanup day and also set some mooring balls if that is legal. These reefs need some protection from anchors.

There was a heck of a squall line come through, I had just seen it coming as we left our second spot and made it through the inlet before the wind hit. Really glad I was not out there in a 19 foot boat, that would have been fun. I understand there were waterspouts and at least one boat went down and required rescue and salvage.

N

Nemrod. I'm wondering if this is the same site that might also be called "labor day rocks".

(or if its a different site).

EDIT: That's what the folks on the Scubatech boat called it. FYI

Last edited:
Nemrod. I'm wondering if this is the same site that might also be called "labor day rocks".

(or if its a different site).

Mr. Mike, I don't know, locals seem to change the names of places over the years to confuse us tourists (it is not working in my case), I always knew of it as Anchor Rock(s) Reef because there are actually three small reefs and they are always covered with anchors. Please, some body get them and they can have my Halycon finger spool I left on the third one I tried to recover, free for your cleanup efforts.

AnchorRockSW.jpg

N

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom